C4 Forums | Control4

Spotify and C4

esanto1

Hi All,

Considering getting C4 mainly for security but thinking about adding Spotify as well now. I currently use Spotify through Sonos and have 2 zones setup. Recently started experiencing issues where the music pauses for a few seconds and then resumes. I read somewhere that this could be because the music is being streamed from my phone to Sonos so it’s a buffering effect. 
If I did Spotify through C4 (replaces Sonos), I’m guessing it would address the problem if I imitated Spotify from C4 as it would stream the music via the wired connection. Could I still use my phone to play Spotify music? If so, would it suffer the same buffering type issue and occasionally pause the music?

Thanks

The feature you are looking for is spotify connect.  it acts like a remote.  Doesn't Sonus do spotify connect?  it sounds like you are doing more of an air play type operation there.  I don't use sonus.

Control4 definately uses spotify connect and the content streams from the controller.

2 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

If you are using Spotify Connect, the stream is not coming from your phone.  It's originating from the Sonos devices themselves.  If you use AirPlay, the stream comes from your phone.  

Are you sure? I did a test and when playing music through the Spotify app on my phone, I do experience dropouts. When playing music from the Sonos app instead, it’s fine. That being the case, I assumed the first was streaming from my phone whereas the second was streaming from Sonos. Doesn’t that sound right?

• 2 years later...

My dealer created 9 Spotify connect sessions (one per room) but we frequently have dropoffs (like in 2-3 seconds) after playing in one of our rooms.   But it's C4 entry is virtually identical to the other 8 (just the rooms are different).

So for example, we get into Spotify Connect app (which I hate, btw, but here we are) and have music ready to play but hit the little phone/PC connect to source and we find "Master Suite" along with our other 8.  I hear the music play for 2-3 seconds then the audio ends in the room and plays on my phone.

To be sure, we are not shutting off the room if Spotify session disconnects in 5 seconds.  That is a 'no' on all 9 sessions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.