C4 Forums | Control4

Araknis AC700 Access Point SLOW

Hi - my dealer talked me into installing 4x Araknis AC700 access points around the house. We have Gigabit internet from Spectrum and can get 942/35 all day long via ethernet. When testing via wifi 5Ghz - best I can get on my 2017 MacBook Pro is 350mb. If I remove them and connect a Netgear Orbi access point - I get 550-600 all the time. WTF? - these Araknis are supposed to be great. I have 30 years of IT experience but am new to this make/model. Numerous calls to tech support yield no solutions.

Anyone have a similar issue?

The sales pitch was that Araknis was so much more stable, etc. - FYI - my entire rack is now Araknis switches/routers, etc.

The other issue I had with these Araknis access points which I never experienced with other brands was issues with wireless fans, printers, etc. connecting and staying connected via wifi. Just never had an issue with Netgear or Apple Airports and other typical computer related access points. I'm not liking this new 'gift with purchase' issue fest I'm now seeing with these access points. I've tried many settings but am open to suggestions for sure. Thanks!!

Araknis is shit product, sold by dealers because it has fat margin, is stupid easy to setup and if needed has ok tech support.
I’ve used and tested the AP’s, switch’s and routers.
The AP’s are complete garbage as are the routers. The layer two switch’s are ok at best and the layer three have had and still might issues with stripping out vlans - snap tech support all the way to the top witnessed this and had no solution.
Basically it’s for people that don’t really know networking but still want to make big money on the product side of things.
OvrC is a great tool that comes along for the ride and can be very helpful.
I have removed araknis at multiple sites to fix multiple issues including the speed thru the AP’s and watching the router’s weak processors slow a network to a crawl.
If you want great WiFi get Ruckus.

I’m sure that the araknis lovers will flame me, but i have super solid networks that outperform anything araknis routers and AP’s can offer, some even have araknis layer 2 switch’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, samsmoothjazz said:

Hi - my dealer talked me into installing 4x Araknis AC700 access points around the house. We have Gigabit internet from Spectrum and can get 942/35 all day long via ethernet. When testing via wifi 5Ghz - best I can get on my 2017 MacBook Pro is 350mb. If I remove them and connect a Netgear Orbi access point - I get 550-600 all the time. WTF? - these Araknis are supposed to be great. I have 30 years of IT experience but am new to this make/model. Numerous calls to tech support yield no solutions.

Anyone have a similar issue?

The sales pitch was that Araknis was so much more stable, etc. - FYI - my entire rack is now Araknis switches/routers, etc.

The other issue I had with these Araknis access points which I never experienced with other brands was issues with wireless fans, printers, etc. connecting and staying connected via wifi. Just never had an issue with Netgear or Apple Airports and other typical computer related access points. I'm not liking this new 'gift with purchase' issue fest I'm now seeing with these access points. I've tried many settings but am open to suggestions for sure. Thanks!!

Curious why you need 500+Mbps over Wifi?  

What channel size are you using?  80Mhz?

Using 80Mhz.

It's not that I need 500+ over wifi for internet but I have access to file servers, etc. that would benefit from faster throughput. Plus, in general - it's my job as an IT company owner to get clients the fastest wifi possible. It's puzzling that these overpriced devices don't keep up with something that is sold at Costco.

I'm sure hoping it's a setting I'm missing somewhere.

I went with the dealers recommendation as I assumed he had more experience in full home automation integration where my expertise was limited at the time to just home networks for laptops/ipads and iPhones. He insisted that lesser systems when mixed with the amount of chatter that comes with 90+ wireless and wired devices with a complex C4 system would have issues and this is where, in his opinion Araknis shined. Nobody told me throughput would suck though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.