C4 Forums | Control4

When does Control4 release the Black and Decker Zigbee locks?

haha my house was built March 09 and so far all of the light switches, vanity tops, kitchen flooring, and wet bar flooring have been replaced, with the entire foyer/dining/living/sunroom area to be done in the next 2 months and all of the carpet within the next 6 months. I probably should have just been a general contractor and had the house built myself.

How exactly do these locks work, are they battery operated and wireless, or do they need to be hardwired to the C4 contact relays and power?

They are battery operated and wireless.

If you just built the house, why didn't you just put in the flooring that you wanted? Was the builder unwilling to work with you or did you buy an already built spec home?

The builders flooring contractor wanted 27k to upgrade *just* 4500 sq ft of carpet from 4lb pad to mostly level 4 carpet and a small amount of level 6 carpet (out of 15 levels). I stopped at the first carpet dealer I found down the street and picked out some level 10 and level 12 carpet and priced out removing 4500 sq ft of carpet and pad and installing the new carpet with 8-10lb water resistant pads and he quoted me $14k installed. A quick trip to Dalton, GA and I could probably get that cost down below 8k.

Tile costs were similar, they wanted 3k to upgrade from vinyl to base tile in the kitchen, 5.5k for the Foyer, and then another 4k to upgrade to the tile we wanted for the Foyer area whereas Im getting the whole thing done including a nice marble floor medallion, nicer tile, and a marble border tile in the sunroom for about $9k. I do wish I had gotten the kitchen part done through them even with the extra cost though because it was a hassle having that done after.

Yeah, the builder definately gouges. We were looking at going the same route you did because of the cost savings, but with everything going on in our life (my son ended up being born the day we moved in) we decided it was worth the premium to avoid the headaches.

That being said, I really wish I had that ~$12k right now. We did about 3k square feet of hand scrapped walnut and the builder just raped us on it. We love the floor though, and we didn't want the hassle of pulling it out and putting something else in, with the kids and dogs on top of the stresses of moving into a new house.

• 1 month later...

Archived