C4 Forums | Control4

Moen U Shower

rf9000

All,

We are building a sort of his and her shower in our master bath. Each side of the shower will be ran separately, each with a "U by Moen" digital shower valve and control. The front wall of the entire shower where the door is will be glass. So the digital controls for these showers will be located inside the shower on an inside wall. What I'm trying to accomplish is a way to turn on either side of the shower without having to first open the door go inside and turn on the digital control. I know that these "U by Moen" controls can be controlled via mobile phone so was wondering if there was a way to turn them on to a preset temp with C4. My idea was to mount a simple 2 button keypad right outside the shower, where one button would be for her and one button would be for me. I would like, for example, when she presses the "her" button, that the system communicates to the shower control and her side comes on at a preset temp. Same thing when the "his" button is pressed on the keypad. Also could turn either side off from her if the same button was pressed again.  Can you guys let me know if this is possible?

there is no integration for "U" as of today.. There is a driver for "FLO" which is a moen product.. This is something they are working on, this was just being discussed a few days ago.. I wait as well.

As to your question, I would put a configurable keypad, It will give you a lot of flexibility for the shower, light scenes, audio, timers.etc

I have these.  Some notes:  

I have the controllers in the "wet" area of the shower / tub.  We designed a recess for each to avoid as much spray as possible.  Yes, they are "waterproof", and yes they also show water spots even with softened water (recommend a quick towel dry).  The bracket/gasket is hardly an adequate long term seal to avoid moisture getting behind the wall.  Make sure you use electric tape on the connection - that wire slips behind the wall, and goodbye forever.  They are still a little bit unreliable with both Alexa and Siri (doesn't always work).  Also with two controllers, Alexa and Siri get confused as to which "shower" you are talking to.  Recommend creating Presets which then create corresponding scenes in Alexa and HomeKit.  The native Moen App works every time.  Moen App Timer function is *still* broken.  Would definitely replace the outlet they are plugged into with a surge protect outlet.  Make sure you have really good access to the valve system, a shutoff nearby, and access to the plug where they are plugged in - only way to do a hard reset.   I also ran PVC conduit for the controller wire to location of controller just in case I ever switch systems and need a new/different control wire.  Overall they are excellent and a huge wow factor to the bathroom.

They now work with both Alexa and Apple HomeKit (Siri).  While I have not attempted yet, there may be some Routines (Alexa) or Automations (Siri) that could work.  I am aware that many "secure" devices such as door locks and garage doors do not allow automations for security reasons, same may be true with shower, but there are also workarounds.  For example, I have an Automation to open a garage door when arriving home (geo fence).  Won't do it by normal mechanism because of "security" - so... When I get Home > Turn on Night Light (1 min) ; When Night Light turns ON > Open Garage Door.  Ta da.  Haven't had reason or opportunity to see if that works with the Moen.

6 hours ago, anon2828 said:

I have these.  Some notes:  

I have the controllers in the "wet" area of the shower / tub.  We designed a recess for each to avoid as much spray as possible.  Yes, they are "waterproof", and yes they also show water spots even with softened water (recommend a quick towel dry).  The bracket/gasket is hardly an adequate long term seal to avoid moisture getting behind the wall.  Make sure you use electric tape on the connection - that wire slips behind the wall, and goodbye forever.  They are still a little bit unreliable with both Alexa and Siri (doesn't always work).  Also with two controllers, Alexa and Siri get confused as to which "shower" you are talking to.  Recommend creating Presets which then create corresponding scenes in Alexa and HomeKit.  The native Moen App works every time.  Moen App Timer function is *still* broken.  Would definitely replace the outlet they are plugged into with a surge protect outlet.  Make sure you have really good access to the valve system, a shutoff nearby, and access to the plug where they are plugged in - only way to do a hard reset.   I also ran PVC conduit for the controller wire to location of controller just in case I ever switch systems and need a new/different control wire.  Overall they are excellent and a huge wow factor to the bathroom.

They now work with both Alexa and Apple HomeKit (Siri).  While I have not attempted yet, there may be some Routines (Alexa) or Automations (Siri) that could work.  I am aware that many "secure" devices such as door locks and garage doors do not allow automations for security reasons, same may be true with shower, but there are also workarounds.  For example, I have an Automation to open a garage door when arriving home (geo fence).  Won't do it by normal mechanism because of "security" - so... When I get Home > Turn on Night Light (1 min) ; When Night Light turns ON > Open Garage Door.  Ta da.  Haven't had reason or opportunity to see if that works with the Moen.

I contacted Driver Central and they have informed me that they plan to have a C4 driver out for the U by Moen systems in 3rd quarter of this year. They said more demand, the sooner it could be. You should fill this out here as I have done. https://drivercentral.io/driver-request/  

They also said that they could develop sooner if someone was willing to cover the developers time, but don't know if I want to do that. Maybe someone on here could develop one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.