C4 Forums | Control4

Media Player Conundrum

ILoveC4

Question

So, I have historically used the MyMovies Collection Management driver in conjunction with 2 Popcorn Hour Media Players to play my massive library of movies stored on my NAS.

MyMovies Collection Management driver has bit the dust, and I'm interested in getting some 4K media players anyways. This leaves me in a situation where I can completely mothball what I've got and start over.

Here are my requirements, and would love your recommendations:

• Automatically scrape my NAS drive and catalog movies with all metadata
  • Play nice with Control4 for movie selection (my family is used to this)
  • Output 4K content - for new 4K movies and also ideally upscale existing stuff
  • Be low maintenance and not require a bunch of tinkering - I travel a lot and just need this to work

So what's recommended? Plex? Kodi? Nvidia Shield in conjunction with one of those?
For what it's worth we have AppleTV's and enjoy them...I understand Plex is available for them - would that allow us to use the MyMovies part of Control4 for movie selection? I've been out of the scene for a while as my old setup worked so well for so many years. Thanks in advance.

If you want to have TV recording functionality let me throw in an oldie, but a goodie - SageTV.  It also does recorded TV including VIDEO_TS.  And you can have screens that look like the Zappiti screenshots above.  But linear TV, and recording it, is dying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.