C4 Forums | Control4

How easy is it to do all the setup programming from afar?

I'm just curious if the programing for a complete AV setup (no lights or HVAC) could actually be done remotely. Without the "dealer" actually entering the house.

In other words say to set up 2 TV zones. Proposal goes something like this: Customer purchases an HC300 for main zone and HC200 for secondary zone. Connects everything onto the network. Allocates IP addresses for each controller. Plugs in all the serial and IR cables b/w the gear and the controllers. Emails the offsite dealer with what gear is attached and "offsite dealer" programs everything to work.

Would this actually be feasible and do any dealers actually work like this?

Design of the project can be done with Virtual Director in Composer Pro before coming to location and saved to a file. All virtual connections can be made at this time as well per the hard wire design already done at the home and given to the programmer.

But... if they are doing the programming remotely they are still charging for their time I would hope. So why do remotely vs. on site? Maybe save some drive time?

They also may have to build drivers for equipment that none exist currently, requiring that item's original remote. Test IR's to make sure they are positioned correctly and controlling the device, etc, etc.

Also I would think if the dealer is going to provide future support they would want to physically check and test everything installed.

Bottom line, all things perfect it could be done, but not as practical as being there I would think.

Just my opinion ;)

Sure, they can, but there's not as much incentive for dealers who are not also selling the equipment, as that's part of their profit.

Some dealers offer to add devices remotely if the end user obtains them, others won't touch it with a 10 foot pole for liability and profitability reasons.

RyanE

Good Point Ryan - I should have said - buy the 7" wifi from them, ship it to me and have them remotely install it.

We do this quite a bit - locally or nationally (we have customers all over)... no problems at all.

Good Point Ryan - I should have said - buy the 7" wifi from them' date=' ship it to me and have them remotely install it.[/quote']

We do this quite a bit - locally or nationally (we have customers all over)... no problems at all.

How about internationally? :D

OK!!!

So after I get some more gear and set it up with basic IR commands etc, you wouldn't mind doing some more complicated programming...

....a good example might be getting the slingbox solution up and running....

I'll send you an email when I'm ready....:)

Archived