C4 Forums | Control4

IR wiring

I am trying to figure out a solution to run IR wiring from a rack back to the TV. I dont have an extra Cat5 run to splice out the wires.

I have a Cat5 balun that I'm using for component that has an extra rca jack for audio that I dont use.

Can I take the C4 IR bud, cut it and splice it to a cut RCA cable and use that to run over the balun to the TV?

If no, I have an extra coax/RG6 run to each TV. Can I cut that cable and use that somehow? (I dont know what's on the inside of a coax/RG6 cable)

Thanks

bdo

So if I understand correctly you have a single RCA open? Well most of the IR buds I have seen are 3/8" jacks to the IR buds and there are 3/8" to RCA adapters, so I figure your cheapest bet is to do a 3/8" to RCA adapter on each end (female to female on the TV end, female to male on the C4 controller end). Right?

I would use the RG6. You can get an RG6 to minijack male (same end as the IR bud), then get a barrel connector that accepts two male minijacks. I had to do that behind one TV.

If that doesn't make sense, or you need pictures let me know. It will probably cost you around $15.

I have a Cat5 balun that I'm using for component that has an extra rca jack for audio that I dont use.

I have used Muxlabs component baluns and broke out the unused pair for audio for IR. On the Muxlabs component baluns the blue pair is used for audio. Since we were not using audio over the baluns I used that pair for IR control.

You can also use one of your spare coax for the IR. Here is an f connector to male mini-mono. I am not sure if anyone makes a female.

Use the extra coax for IR, that would be easy and 100% reliable.

If you have an unused port on the balun you can use that pair on the Cat5 for the emitter instead.

Just pull that pair out of the cat5 before you crimp the connection and wire up the emitter as usual.

Not all baluns will pass the freq of IR, so don't count on using a bunch of adapters to make a 3.5MM jack from the balun accept the emitter. You are better off bypassing the balun for IR entirely.

If you haven't purchased your baluns yet, you can buy units that are active with built in IR ports.

Archived