C4 Forums | Control4

Triad RackAmp 700 vs AudioControl RS500

cdepaola

Had a RackAmp 700 take a dump on me, was repaired once already and is out of warranty. With that said I now need a new sub-amp and curious if anyone has experience with the AudioControl RS500 or any of the AudioControl amps in general? Just very disappointed in lifespan of the previous Triad and considering moving...  

5 hours ago, AudioAlex said:

The AudioControl RS500 and RS1000 are certainly top of the class sub amps with full DSP. I have listened to both and would highly recommend and a step above the paradigm in many ways in my opinion. 

You may be right but was just thinking that when it comes to subwoofer technology and DSP, Paradigm/Anthem have spent decades in this space refining.    With that said, I run JL Audio subwoofers in my HT now but have always been impressed with the value / performance curve of the Paradigm equipment.    

13 minutes ago, C4 User said:

Have you considered the Martin Logan BalancedForce 212? I have and it’s amazing. Removes the amp from your rack as it is a powered sub. 

I'm guessing the only folks that have subwoofer amps in their rack are because they have inwall subs for design reasons....   Latter will always come at a performance compromise to a standalone unit.

The Audiocontrol stuff is fantastic and they've been first party partners with Triad for years up in the pacific northwest.  They'll have the DSP's for the Triad subs in most cases baked in already just like the Rackamp.  Triad has always had problems getting good amps.

2 hours ago, ejn1 said:

I'm guessing the only folks that have subwoofer amps in their rack are because they have inwall subs for design reasons....   Latter will always come at a performance compromise to a standalone unit.

However, if such cases it brings into question the need for such a high end sub amp. To clarify, I say need and not want. Many of us chose want over practicality :).

Correct on the reason for a rack mounted sub-amp, all of our subs are in-wall.  Its understood that some performance is sacrificed with in-wall, though I'd argue with the correct equipment that sacrifice is much less then many folks think.  We've got several James Power Pipe subs with their 1000 watt amps and they sound amazing.  We're also using multiple of the Triad Slim-Sub in most TV rooms and they too sound fantastic. 

EJN1 are you running the Fathom in-wall's?   I really wanted to do these in our basement media room but couldn't get an audition of them. 

I love Triad but have had very bad luck with their amps...

33 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

EJN1 are you running the Fathom in-wall's?   I really wanted to do these in our basement media room but couldn't get an audition of them. 

If I had to go in-wall, a pair of the Fathom In-walls would be my first choice and actually thought about it but they are pricey so I put the budget elsewhere.   My HT room also is used for occasional 2 channel so I went with a more compact sealed sub, the Fathom F112's...  I have a pair of them on the same plane as the HT screen and I custom built a cabinet that left the cabinet floor off in the corners to house the subs (hidden).   Probably to some bass output detriment but they put out more than I would ever need in  13x20 room.   Since the subs are coupled with the floor and not cabinet, I get zero vibration in the cabinet (that is perceivable).   

1 hour ago, C4 User said:

However, if such cases it brings into question the need for such a high end sub amp. To clarify, I say need and not want. Many of us chose want over practicality :).

Agree.   I think this is why most sub amps are digital amps with higher dampening, higher output and higher distortion as it doesnt really matter in a subwoofer.    In the old days, DSP was a great feature in a sub but most modern AVR's and Preamps handle the DSP full range now so not sure the need to spend that money in a sub amp. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.