C4 Forums | Control4

Somfy RS485 RTS Transmitter Conversion Question

MatLOT

Question

Having been plunged into another installers project at short notice I have to connect Somfy to C4 using the RS485 RTS Transmitter device.

The driver indicates the following:

For device control, a RS23 to RS485 converter is required. This device has a 4 wire (NC, +, -, G) RS485 connector. Control requires only the use of the + and - wires. These two wires must be terminated to 120Ω resistors on the both the converter and transmitter ends.

Can anyone explain the 120 Ohm resistors and how to fit them? perhaps a small diagram?

Very much appreciated in advance.

Thanks

Mark

10 answers to this question

3 hours ago, MatLOT said:

Hi, I have had Somfy blinds in my house for a couple of years.  Actually a total of 23 of them.  I control them through my control4 although I opted to use the Mylink controller.  Because they can only control 16 blinds I have 2 controllers in my house.  They have work with very little problems including setting up scenes. 

Thanks Rocky 

great to know there is an alternative. In this case the other party in the equasion has purchase this Rs232 to RS485 device. 

I have little info on the actual blinds themselves unless i pull the place to bits. Trying to get a solution for the client without too much disruption. 

Im hoping the mylink devices are easy enough to install on the C4 System driver wize. How do you find the operation for the blinds? they seem very noisy. What about scenes? do you find them to work ok?

This is probably the most straight forward and affordable solution.  You just utilise the existing somfy rts remotes to learn into the Bond Bridge before integration to Control4.  The Bond app for iOS or Android will walk you through how to pair the blinds.  As such you don't need to touch the physical blinds at all ever.  Bond Bridge is Wifi and usb powered so just throw them around the house.  Most houses can live off of 1 or 2 Bond Bridges (1 per floor).  I have yet to see a house use 3 Bond Bridges.

The blinds themselves are very straight forward to operate.  I program the scenes in the Somfy app then can access them through C4.  As for as the noise.  Yes when they are going up and down the can be noise especially on the second floor which is a wide open space with 10 windows and a patio door and all 11 blinds are going at once but it is only for a few seconds and for the convivence it is a no brainier.  Also the cost on the Somfy blinds is about half of the quiet ones that are out there, and at 23 that is a significant savings.  Also this is a three story end unit town home and I only have 2 Mylinks.

THanks everyone. ill be visiting this client perhaps next week if they are free. I saw the Bond Bridge and would have recommended it. However the 'middleman' has already advised the client and they purchased the rts transmitter before i got the chance to talk to them. Hence the question.

tdougray if you can find that out for me id appreciate it. Just want to make sure its done the best way possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.