C4 Forums | Control4

Routers, Switches and Lions Oh my.

johnred

I am working with a new installer and I am not sure he really knows what he is talking about. My question is could i get a wireless router and network switches recommendation from the group. He is recommending a procure switch and smart switch with poe. I have been reading about the HDMI stuff over Cat6 and I do not want to make a mistake. 4 bedroom house with 13 zones of music, a couple cameras, eventually up to 7 tv. He is also suggesting I start with hc500.

Sorry about the lions reference.

I recently installed:

Router: Cisco/Linksys RV042 $138 on Amazon

Switch: Netgear FS116P (has 8 regular ports, and 8 POE ports) $203 on Amazon

WiFi Access Point: 3Com 7760 $183 from Provantage

I figured the switch would provide additional POE ports, and I would add another switch later when my video switching needs were better defined.

If I had to buy it again, I'd onsider possible a RV082 and pickup 4 additional ports on the router for more flexibility in adding switches as I expand the system.

I went with the HC1000 and then smaller HC200's at each TV. Seemed to make sense to me rather than an HC500 centrally.

There is a list of network hardware that is known to work well with C4. You dealer would have access to this list and could make a recommendation of the hardware on that list. Your dealer may also have network hardware that he has used before and knows will work. A solid network is important to the C4 system so my advice is to spend a little extra on the network to prevent problems in the future.

An HC500 is a good start for a controller. The HC500 has 3 audio outputs compared to 2 on the HC300. With 13 zones of audio you might want to play more digital audio sources at one time.

In regard to the HDMI over IP. I would probably use a separate switch for that and have the C4 gear on its' own dedicated switch.

Thanks Everyone for the help

Netgear - FS726TP - ProSafe 24-Port 10/100 Smart Switch ...

HP Procurve 1400-24G 24-Ports 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet Switch (j9078a)

d-Link Dir-655 Xtreme Wireless router

He is recommending two 24 port switches????

I would also ditch the rd-Link outer. The router/wireless combo is less flexible than a separate router and separate wireless access point. Additionally the C4 gear is not "N" capable so the it will only operate at B/G speed.

Linksys RV042 is a great router

he should be looking at any GOOD quality switch. Dell for example.. HP Procurves are nice as well

also what size is your home? a regular access point may not be enough and a Luxul 1 watt amplifier may help out tremendously

I'd defer to the recommendation of the guy who actually has to install the gear, make it work, and keep it working. If you start telling him what to spec, you better be prepared to pay for the associated troubleshooting and support time.

If he's specing gear he's had success with and can support, then let it go. If he's pulling things out of thin air, then it's a different story.

It's easy for us to look at a list and say "I would not do it that way", but we are not same folks who have to install and support the system.

The network is important. I have a very large C4 system installed and have never had any issues except for my wireless 802.11G network. By the way I designed my entire network. I have been in the computer/software/IT world for 20+ years and pretty much knew what I wanted. I talked that over with my dealer before we started the project and he was very open to the fact that he had basic network knowledge and was very happy to have me take that role. Any dealers out there please do not take this the wrong way, but I feel that a lot of dealers are experts when it comes to A/V, and Home Automation, but when it comes to networking they use off the shelf residential type products that are pretty much plug and play. A lot of times that will work just fine, but if you have demanding network needs like I do, they just won't cut it. If you need 48 ports in your home, you may need a more demanding network as well.

I would talk it over with your dealer and make sure he/she is comfortable providing what YOU need for your environment. If they are not, I am sure they would be open to suggestions.

One thing I would do for sure is use a separate router and access point. Wireless is great, but it will need to be rebooted more often than a router will. If you reboot your router it will affect everything on the network. Reboot only your access point and it will only affect your Wi-Fi. I also split the 802.11G from my N access. Most of the computers in my house are "N" based and the G is really just for Control4. Once again I felt this helped isolate the two and minimize the impact of any one failure. I am changing my G network to fix my problems, (darn WRT54G) but everything else stays the same.

Yeah. That wasn't my first choice. I was originally using a Netgear product for my wireless G, but it kept randomly conflicting with my main router. It was one of those that you could use as an access point, or an access point and router. Router turned off via configuration, but it would still grab a packet occasionally which was causing some problems. Had an old blue anchor lying around so I updated the firmware and installed it. Same old problems. Works great until it stops working. I am installing a Netgear WG102 with the LUXUL Pro-Wave AV extender this weekend. We have used LUXUL commercially before and my guys at the office cannot understand why I need one at home. They don't understand the passion I guess.

I am changing my G network to fix my problems' date=' (darn WRT54G) but everything else stays the same.[/quote']

At least you know the problem ;)

The network is important. I have a very large C4 system installed and have never had any issues except for my wireless 802.11G network. By the way I designed my entire network. I have been in the computer/software/IT world for 20+ years and pretty much knew what I wanted. I talked that over with my dealer before we started the project and he was very open to the fact that he had basic network knowledge and was very happy to have me take that role. Any dealers out there please do not take this the wrong way, but I feel that a lot of dealers are experts when it comes to A/V, and Home Automation, but when it comes to networking they use off the shelf residential type products that are pretty much plug and play. A lot of times that will work just fine, but if you have demanding network needs like I do, they just won't cut it. If you need 48 ports in your home, you may need a more demanding network as well.

I would talk it over with your dealer and make sure he/she is comfortable providing what YOU need for your environment. If they are not, I am sure they would be open to suggestions.

One thing I would do for sure is use a separate router and access point. Wireless is great, but it will need to be rebooted more often than a router will. If you reboot your router it will affect everything on the network. Reboot only your access point and it will only affect your Wi-Fi. I also split the 802.11G from my N access. Most of the computers in my house are "N" based and the G is really just for Control4. Once again I felt this helped isolate the two and minimize the impact of any one failure. I am changing my G network to fix my problems, (darn WRT54G) but everything else stays the same.

Well here is the question though and i dont want you to take this the wrong what but with 20+ years of IT experience why would you use a 49 dollar router and expect it to perform on an enterprise level? Do you install WRT54Gs into office systems that have a massive amount of packets moving across the network? The heart of any automation system IS the network. If the devices cant communicate properly then its useless.. When you use a 49 dollar router REGARDLESS of what special 3rd party firmware is on it you WILL have issues...

Yeah. That wasn't my first choice. I was originally using a Netgear product for my wireless G, but it kept randomly conflicting with my main router. It was one of those that you could use as an access point, or an access point and router. Router turned off via configuration, but it would still grab a packet occasionally which was causing some problems. Had an old blue anchor lying around so I updated the firmware and installed it. Same old problems. Works great until it stops working. I am installing a Netgear WG102 with the LUXUL Pro-Wave AV extender this weekend. We have used LUXUL commercially before and my guys at the office cannot understand why I need one at home. They don't understand the passion I guess.
I am changing my G network to fix my problems' date=' (darn WRT54G) but everything else stays the same.[/quote']

At least you know the problem ;)

Depending on the size of your home a luxul amplifier can do wonders. The WG102/103 and the luxul amplifier work amazing together.

The WRT54 was sitting in a closet. It was the first wireless AP I every installed at the house. Needless to say since it was sitting in the closet it wasn't being used any longer. When I was having problems with the new Netgear device, I installed it just to get things up and running. I knew it wasn't the best, but it was better than what I was dealing with. I understand the value of a reliable network and I believe that is what I was trying to get across.

The network is important. I have a very large C4 system installed and have never had any issues except for my wireless 802.11G network. By the way I designed my entire network. I have been in the computer/software/IT world for 20+ years and pretty much knew what I wanted. I talked that over with my dealer before we started the project and he was very open to the fact that he had basic network knowledge and was very happy to have me take that role. Any dealers out there please do not take this the wrong way' date=' but I feel that a lot of dealers are experts when it comes to A/V, and Home Automation, but when it comes to networking they use off the shelf residential type products that are pretty much plug and play. A lot of times that will work just fine, but if you have demanding network needs like I do, they just won't cut it. If you need 48 ports in your home, you may need a more demanding network as well.

One thing I would do for sure is use a separate router and access point. Wireless is great, but it will need to be rebooted more often than a router will. If you reboot your router it will affect everything on the network. Reboot only your access point and it will only affect your Wi-Fi. I also split the 802.11G from my N access. Most of the computers in my house are "N" based and the G is really just for Control4. Once again I felt this helped isolate the two and minimize the impact of any one failure. I am changing my G network to fix my problems, (darn WRT54G) but everything else stays the same.[/quote']

Well here is the question though and i dont want you to take this the wrong what but with 20+ years of IT experience why would you use a 49 dollar router and expect it to perform on an enterprise level? Do you install WRT54Gs into office systems that have a massive amount of packets moving across the network? The heart of any automation system IS the network. If the devices cant communicate properly then its useless.. When you use a 49 dollar router REGARDLESS of what special 3rd party firmware is on it you WILL have issues...

Archived