C4 Forums | Control4

Apple tablet - rehashed

havok2022

The latest I have heard is that we should hear an announcement on the Apple Tablet in Jan or Feb. I also hear that they have chosen to go with a 10.7" screen rather than 9.7". Granted, this is all speculation at this point, but what would this mean for sales on the 10.2 wireless touchscreen that is sold by C4? Seems to me that for $1100, the tablet would be a better option. Anyone have any thoughts?

The latest I have heard is that we should hear an announcement on the Apple Tablet in Jan or Feb. I also hear that they have chosen to go with a 10.7" screen rather than 9.7". Granted, this is all speculation at this point, but what would this mean for sales on the 10.2 wireless touchscreen that is sold by C4? Seems to me that for $1100, the tablet would be a better option. Anyone have any thoughts?

How would you be controlling your system with the Apple tablet? No current methods exist.

There has been talk by the Apple nerds I know that the tablet will run Iphone apps.

The latest I have heard is that we should hear an announcement on the Apple Tablet in Jan or Feb. I also hear that they have chosen to go with a 10.7" screen rather than 9.7". Granted' date=' this is all speculation at this point, but what would this mean for sales on the 10.2 wireless touchscreen that is sold by C4? Seems to me that for $1100, the tablet would be a better option. Anyone have any thoughts?[/quote']

How would you be controlling your system with the Apple tablet? No current methods exist.

There has been talk by the Apple nerds I know that the tablet will run Iphone apps.
The latest I have heard is that we should hear an announcement on the Apple Tablet in Jan or Feb. I also hear that they have chosen to go with a 10.7" screen rather than 9.7". Granted' date=' this is all speculation at this point, but what would this mean for sales on the 10.2 wireless touchscreen that is sold by C4? Seems to me that for $1100, the tablet would be a better option. Anyone have any thoughts?[/quote']

What he said

Hmm.....wonder what platform wappinghigh is talking about? Lol

Hang on a minute... not JUST Sonos..! :lol::lol::lol:...happy to tell you what I've done..(just in case there is any doubt!) :rolleyes::

1/ Lighting/fixed power relays/HVAC/Alarm/Security cameras: Clipsal Integrated System's Wiser platform (Flash based) see http://www.clipsal.com.au/homeowner/products/living_technology/wiser_technology/wiser_components and www.wiserhomeautomation.com

2/ Multiroom Audio: Sonos

3/ "Universal remote control" of TV/DVD/Movie zones and home cinema: Control 4

...using the best bits of each of the platforms...and controlling all via itouch/iphone and with a bit of luck: soon the new Apple tablet :P

^To be honest, having all those different items controlling different things just seems like a headache. Control4 can handle all that with the greatest of ease.

But, to each his own. I am glad you found something that works for you.

^To be honest, having all those different items controlling different things just seems like a headache. Control4 can handle all that with the greatest of ease.

But, to each his own. I am glad you found something that works for you.

Sure...Version 2.0 navigator/ the codeman/ and a software & http controller might just pull it all together for me...we shall see :P

^To be honest' date=' having all those different items controlling different things just seems like a headache. Control4 can handle all that with the greatest of ease.

But, to each his own. I am glad you found something that works for you.[/quote']

Sure...Version 2.0 navigator/ thecodeman/ and a software & http controller might just pull it all together for me...we shall see :P

For a price premium ;)

^To be honest' date=' having all those different items controlling different things just seems like a headache. Control4 can handle all that with the greatest of ease.

But, to each his own. I am glad you found something that works for you.[/quote']

Sure...Version 2.0 navigator/ thecodeman/ and a software & http controller might just pull it all together for me...we shall see :P

For a price premium ;)

...I don't have a problem with this...:cool:

Regarding the "headache". Sure it's a bit messy right now. ...I agree with you IloveC4.

I can already get Clipsal cbus into C4. Nobody said I wasn't itching to put ALL the control (including Sonos) onto a couple of Version 2.0 compatible new C4 wireless controllers. I'd do this in a "flash" (pardon the pun :lol:) if I had half the chance.. It's just C4 won't let me do want I want to do right now.

We'll see how keen they become if/when an Apple tablet hits the market. Suddenly we might find them changing their mind....:) Nothing like the elephant in the room finally waking up! People might start to notice. And realize he's actually been hiding quietly in there all along...:)

Is the Clipsal Integrated System available in the US? Is it any good? How does it compare to the C4 system?

CBUS isn't big here in the states as it is in the UK, South Africa, Australia, New Zeland. I can't say because I haven't seen one in action as to how it compares.

Is the Clipsal Integrated System available in the US? Is it any good? How does it compare to the C4 system?

I am not an employee/hawker/spruiker or installer of CIS (or C4 and Sonos for that matter)..so below is an honest appraisal of them:

CIS was an Australian company, a branch of Clipsal, the biggest manufacturer of domestic electrical switches and GPO's etc. in Australia. 240V 50-60hz. So big in Britain and "the colonies"! But also Europe.

It's Now owned by the big Global Electrical firm Schneider Electrical. Alot of the gear is now available in the US and suitable for US power supply. They are marketing it to North America as well.

CIS started out as a computer driven relay and lighting control solution. So strong in the area of lighting/relays/HVAC/sensors/security etc. They also have wireless switches and relays, touchscreens etc. which allows a significant amount of retrofit to existing homes. Also Electricians are used to the gear and it complies with all the standards etc. Another huge strength of the solution is the flexible programming of every relay and switch in the setup. So macro/events/outside sms control etc can all be scheduled under a microsoft windows enviroment.

But it gets better. Actually the programming language is based on Pascal the old flexible language similar to Unix. And the real advantage of their platform is all this language control runs in devices they have produced that are NOT MS Windows dependant. ie small computer independant devices that live on your switchboard and once programmed just sit there day in day out, running your set up and schedules... without needing a PC or MAC. This gives the automation a HUGE stability.

Recently they moved additional control of all this onto a LINUX based Router (called a WISER) which has a FLASH GUI. This was a masterful stroke IMHO because it allows the customer flexibilty in labelling everything, access via LAN/WAN web browsers, easy upgrades etc

This is why I am so excited about C4's move into FLASH with Version 2 of Navigator. :)

But though CIS does have a multiroom audio and Home cinema control solution, I've found it very basic. The audio side is a bit like C4, but it's not even network based. It's WAY behind Sonos. The A/V control is primitive. Just IR. No wireless. It's wired straight into the switchboard using dedicated Cat5. Not portable or networkable like C4.

The CIS platform can now be controlled straight from Control4 using a driver written by the ever amazing Mr A Chow. There are also iphone/itouch solutions.

So in summary. CIS strengths are in fixed and wireless control of relays/lighting etc, but weakness in multiroom audio and control of A/V gear. So It's a perfect fit with C4...particularly in my part of the world where 110V stuff cannot be obtained!

That's why I've put together the setup as previously described.

Archived