C4 Forums | Control4

Music Streaming - Spotify vs Tidal HiFi

zaphod

Here is the way I view the pros and cons of Spotify vs Tidal.  I would welcome input from others to help to revise this list.

Spotify Advantages

Tidal HiFi Advantages

·         Cheaper (not true vs non-Hifi tidal)

·         Better UI, particularly for searching

·         More portable to car, etc

·         Much more widely used, so able to share links, playlists

·         Has podcasts

·         UI is more solid (no duplicates like in Tidal C4 UI)

·         Higher quality

·         UI integrated into Control4 – one app solution, works in TS, easier to play to multiple zones

·         Better integration of playlists/albums/etc

The above looks about right.  I looked at the various options (including Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music which I had a hack work around for in C4) and ultimately went the Tidal route because of the deep UI integration.  I have not regretted the choice although my kids still use Apple Music and ShairBridge.

Another con for Tidal is that I find from time to time that they will show an album from artist X under artist Y.  Probably an issue on all services... but I did notice this when moving from Apple to Tidal.

Then, I am not sure whether one can program against playlists, artists and albums on Spotify Connect? If not, that would be a big (relative) pro for Tidal.

You can program against Playlists or other "Favorites" in Spotify but it is not as straightforward.  That is a big benefit for Tidal if you use that a lot. I have a keybad button set to play Daily Mix 1 from Spotify.

But I am finding that search results in Tidal are a hot mess, especially when searching on a phone as information gets truncated when  the artist name or the album name is too long.  You get multiple matches for a name and you can't tell the difference which is which. And I keep getting duplicates for albums.

Here is an example of a search on both my iPhone and iPad:

YGcsOqqGmdc5QTZuAxWsZF_e4FrYt84ami5wdENfWuxpP2n-6q3-MTOMfP53PMxLTjLftzd0hiujx6bCZt2gkQoII0atKZ5DGoRfIXcsRFYRDrwAqiMblbSPNGif6GfRhJZ8lRNhS-_ypGe_4dUH236vnZlxmbrB0Val2DpeczBjM1jkpDmpFj8usVuKQ0cSgPZFMzuKL5Sl0Q3fcy9293JfqS-eAy6iXc7f1lmeXihmkdH0l7QIUst5z3avjOHksgUQ2AH6l5w8M13g-ii0hh9Y6qpTAN4L80GYN1QE66H0gSDgu6oLcMLn2wsksWvxDJAWfh4LKCYiA_IpSCks589UmdFDE5080KuzEkc_97kZkXjgVwIhrcX-e8XVutR3OxptqWfo0gavL6GSvcfmiIGodvjj1aVUYoj1op9cvTnCphF4kt3Sue2Pq6aeK4aeojWXLFUBrOu5ogjWclYUrtcjFmG-Jv53oiGLzX7cdpPh_y9dnbXhWP0f8AwG7uuRZxwlegPTqUEQv_Ug5XyF2H7eHL3WBrN--6_tFBkDaq1SRiEV4ULdCMxeNdisvBW_n3PgnlqyjLk4grdSiZogRXLqX9YMFJcImELpVj4MAAlo8TRfKCqSrWtbDaQqZ6bqnpv0CJVRpg1KqyGwKYwCnlX1BSbBP8xn5PR_NS42IOP51kVB1smz56rb6YJ2kQ=w412-h891-no?authuser=0

bqBvaiXCM9qhPF38VgpKmpu-c0fKLRmT3Q7S6YZ_vGop8OnY73GEpkYzDoHzGK6UcNf4HmPyB3icdI45JAsYj1Ty7vR2kW1pq-bGHYOEEYWSa-YfeNs4PaGtFhrbchTEIvZXWAnByQA2MxoVqpgDGuG8bmGl61vxGpiC1QnfRe4klfiAr5ojFiPUyIOLb2PGwFOTcqv45QUE2fFX4X-PbTA1zrz9AjmC9yZ3d0ndn6n4eVv9Y0e6bFKaTtRmSvcIkH1OP2li2HzV0FVHoirUvztB_D7-FGF285SNKUR156qJfGTXAXnCLt5aHY6rIi3RymukFAk5fs3V4S4aYiBN6D_nQi1GDHxOaq0j7bviLAhhzKP6kXE0GLl_Wbe64qI81oczwheD2esPb-01dVDd_AJBNmu19nLNPWb9vy19djuUBH2R7rDInkmRDQ9_h6Fj0SZqnpm7UfwoZgKlnrxJ4m1O0g7Gtyr_MU0xtrFyMX8IW3wehesAJPxLuLc0NPo2KIy88e0d4EkViirB636W9UUdegRue2JZOruYj8s3EqL2wP4sIeb3U1bkqol5TfdeUjNYTxt469rHsGQ9HzUtF8XCCQ_4Bv1FYgzM3bRTDbTbvJx2AZ7pOE-vkNdT-rAe0Fsb9CPhYjYwm8qFvo1FhSPEHwmV3ZHyedn8t-KcyDngCFdfp9pAYr0jmJWtaw=w1188-h891-no?authuser=0

The pictures above are blank... but I did see your post in another thread and replicated your duplicates in respect of Robert Randolph. I have seen duplicates from time to time, but not often enough to bug me.  I must admit that I rarely search via C4 as I usually simply play playlists from C4 and create the playlists on the native app.

Spotify is supposed to have a HiFi option later this year, so that could make Spotify equivalent to Tidal on the quality front.

Spotify HiFi will be available later this year and “will deliver music in CD-quality, lossless audio format to your device and Spotify Connect-enabled speakers, which means fans will be able to experience more depth and clarity while enjoying their favorite tracks.”

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/22/22295273/spotify-hifi-announced-lossless-streaming-hd-quality?

• 7 months later...

Spotify connect is not very good.  Not easy to train the family and not reliable for our system. I love Control4, but not having native integration with Spotify, by far the biggest streaming platform compared to other Control4 options) is a huge miss.  Tidal often fails to play in HD, the UI is not as good, and the family has no interest in using it.  

I really hope Control4 understands this is not a great solution.

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

My family loves the Spotify connect integration. What do you find is not good?

I agree - one of the advantages is that they use the Spotify UI that they are familiar with.  Then it is just one click to send to the Control4 Device, such as Kitchen or Brittany's Bedroom or whatever.  So they don't have to learn the Control4 UI to play music.

+1 for Tidal. We just switched from Amazon music and are really happy - we love that the UI on TS is actually useable and easy by comparison and works great. Also love the ability to program with it compared to Amazon. Quality great too. Pair with Sirius XM and everyone’s happy 😃 

• 3 months later...

Spotify HiFi was supposed to have been released in 2021 but it is not yet available.  This was (finally) posted in the Spotify community (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Music-HiFi-Quality-Lossless-Streaming-16bit-44/idc-p/5324421#M238504)

ModeratorYordan

Friday

Status changed to: Under Consideration

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.