C4 Forums | Control4

Network Traffic control

Bog -

Thanks for your help. Not following your advice on my 4port switch not being used at all? It does have some connections to 16 Channel Amp and Media Controller and the Airport Extreme.

I cannot disconnect the wireless hub because that is what enables the wireless connection on the HTPC.

Thanks - let me know what you think

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can HTPC be connected via ethernet to the DIR-655 (for testing only)?

I just want to eliminate as much as possible for testing purposes. What exactly is the wireless access point (make/model)? Is it strictly an access point or a router?

Thats the problem, it cannot. I can disconnect it but that would solve all the problems. My zigby is terribly slow when I download on the wireless network period. I noticed that yesterday again. No matter from what device. Any suggestions folks? Could it be my old v1/v2 remotes causing it?

Thanks

This is the same problem I have - exactly - if I do any heavy downloading - my entire C4 systems lags to the point of not working........I was unable to find a fix - so I ran a wired internet connection to my computer room (my basement isn't finished so was easy for me to do) and now works fine - I still use my laptop wirelessly for all normal internet usage and all is good - but for moving large files such as movies etc, I have to use the wired connection and all works fine..... hope that helps....

I know that doesn't fix what's wrong but at least it's a patch.......

2 access points makes sense, but I've been concerned about the radiation given off by the Luxul to improve coverage, and if there were 2 of them that's twice the radiation.

An alternative would be 4 lower power access points (2 for C4 traffic, 2 for computers). But I've never been clear on the issues of what happens when you take a iPhone from one side to the other ("roaming" onto 2nd access point). Or do the same with a 7" TS. I'd be grateful for someone to shed some light on this.

@stenkb and rchawla

I think you both have the same problem as well. you have to systematically troubleshoot by simplifying and eliminating as much as possible. Then we slowly introduce things until the problem recurs. Neither of you indicated you tested with an alternate access point. I strongly recommend you do this.

For what it's worth, my network looks similar to this:

modem ----> wireless router (w/4 port switch) --------> 24 port switch

I connect all my devices into the 24 port switch (including my HC300 and NAS). I have many devices connected wirelessly that stream content from my NAS and the Internet. None of this causes problems to my HC300 or Zigbee network. I don't know what your problem is but if you can't troubleshoot or try alternate devices there's not much more I can do to help.

2 access points makes sense, but I've been concerned about the radiation given off by the Luxul to improve coverage, and if there were 2 of them that's twice the radiation.

An alternative would be 4 lower power access points (2 for C4 traffic, 2 for computers). But I've never been clear on the issues of what happens when you take a iPhone from one side to the other ("roaming" onto 2nd access point). Or do the same with a 7" TS. I'd be grateful for someone to shed some light on this.

You won't get (COMPLETELY) seemless operation out of a 7"WiFi. I have a true cellular system and the 7" hickups momentarily between cells. I don't know about the iPhone/Touch though. You are not going to be happy with several thick APs throughout your home. That won't fare well at all (for roaming that is).

2 access points makes sense' date=' but I've been concerned about the radiation given off by the Luxul to improve coverage, and if there were 2 of them that's twice the radiation.

An alternative would be 4 lower power access points (2 for C4 traffic, 2 for computers). But I've never been clear on the issues of what happens when you take a iPhone from one side to the other ("roaming" onto 2nd access point). Or do the same with a 7" TS. I'd be grateful for someone to shed some light on this.[/quote']

You won't get (COMPLETELY) seemless operation out of a 7"WiFi. I have a true cellular system and the 7" hickups momentarily between cells. I don't know about the iPhone/Touch though. You are not going to be happy with several thick APs throughout your home. That won't fare well at all (for roaming that is).

The iPhone and Control4 wireless products do not roam or hop access points seamlessly. They will have to disconnect from their AP and re-associate wtih the new AP to continue. Having devices on a static IP will shorten the delay since there's no negotation for IP address information, but there will still be a delay.

Hi all -

I changed my setup yesterday. I removed the home theatre controllers connected directly to the router and I put a switch going directly to the router and then connected the HTC's to the router so that the information flows from one point. I think this speeded things up considerably. Downstairs, I removed the gigabit switch and just connected directly to the airport extreme as all devices are 100Mbit. No need for that switch. I also introduced a ReadyNasDuo to the gigabit switch upstairs and its fairing pretty quick. 1gb in about 10 minutes over wireless and 1gb in 2 minutes over ethernet. Pretty good right?

I also added a Mac mini into the office and removed the Toshiba laptop (it is running on wireless connecting to the Airport Extreme, therefore transmitting back to the NAS connected to the Dlink Router is extremely slow. Is there an N adapter for the Airport Extreme?

Zigbee has improved slightly, but I think its my V1 remotes causing the issues.

Further I have more questions:

1. My ReadyNas has an Itunes server. Can we use C4 / Firefly server together? rather than pointing network storage to the NAS and scanning everything? Is there no C4 interface that works with Firefly Itunes?

2. I still have to test music sources from the NAS over the Airport Express which is a source on my C4. I am skeptic that it will sync all zones. But will try this weekend and report back results.

3. My next step is to introduce an Apple TV in the family room (where the airport extreme is) and have a central source for it to source photos / music and then that can serve music to the house. I am concerned that moving music from the NAS upstairs and using a device downstairs to serve it and then serving it to the HC300 upstairs will cause a lot of latency issues. Thoughts on how to minimize other than putting the Apple TV else where? since that would defeat the purpose of the living room? I could move the Nas downstairs but then when it serves music through the HC300, it would travel again, too much!

I should have gone into IT, I love doing this stuff. I went into finance instead!

LOL

Thanks everyone!

Is there an N adapter for the Airport Extreme?

The airport extreme after January 2007 uses N bands already. You can tell if you have this by looking at the number of lan ports - N-spec airport extremes have three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort#AirPort_Extreme_Base_Station

1. My ReadyNas has an Itunes server. Can we use C4 / Firefly server together? rather than pointing network storage to the NAS and scanning everything? Is there no C4 interface that works with Firefly Itunes?

No, but DLNA support is supposed to be included with 2.0 - we'll have to wait and see.

So technically all my scanned media on the NAS will show up in C4 without scanning? That would be sweet. Now will there be backward support to 1.7 in 2.0? Or Do I have to throw out everything old?

Please advise?

Thanks

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4279

It probably wont be back ported to versions prior to 2.0 but again this is all SPECULATION since nothing is out on 2.0 yet, no beta, no SDK, nothing...with no time frame.

Archived