C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Matrix not recognizing TVs as HDCP 2.2

I recently bought 3 2021 65" LG OLED C1 TVs, replacing some older TVs, but after calibrating the matrix, it shows these TVs in their zones not being HDCP 2.2. Every other TV connected to the matrix, which are also LG OLED TVs, albeit a year or two older, all are listed on the matrix configuration as HDCP 2.2 compatible. When a new TV/device comes out, does the C4 matrix automatically see the device as being HDCP 2.2 compliant or does someone at C4 normally need to update something before the matrix can recognize the new device as being HDCP 2.2 compliant?

If I setup an EDID group, excluding these 2 TVs from the matrix, then I can get a 4K HDR signal from the sources to the other TVs connected, however, for an Apple TV 4K, I have to set a custom resolution of 4K HDR 24fps, before the signal is passed through making the content almost unwatchable. I’m curious if this might be a limitation of the matrix or the wiring. If I were using CAT7 or fiber cables, would the matrix still be limited to 24fps on 4K HDR content? The matrix I’m using is the LU642D. I’d appreciate any suggestions.

4 hours ago, rolldog said:

4K HDR 24fps, before the signal is passed through making the content almost unwatchable.

Huh? So actualy film ratio is unwatchable? That isn't an issue with the setting as scuh, but possibly points to an issue somewhere else (wiring, switch, ATV or TV)

That said, the switch as such shouldn't need an update, HDCP 2.2 is a standard, and no specific firmware update on a video switch SHOULD be needed.

If I were using CAT7 or fiber cables, would the matrix still be limited to 24fps on 4K HDR content

The cable type won't affect the video switch's ability to support a certain resolution as such.

If I setup an EDID group, excluding these 2 TVs from the matrix, then I can get a 4K HDR signal from the sources to the other TVs connected, however, for an Apple TV 4K, I have to set a custom resolution of 4K HDR 24fps

Wait, you have to set the ATV to get it on the 'old' TVs?

I just had 2 LG OLED TVs installed, and both of them are connected to the matrix. If I try setting the video signal on the Apple TV connected to the matrix to 4K60 HDR, the screen goes out until it defaults back to 4K60 SDR. If I try setting the Roku Ultra to 4K HDR, which is another source on the matrix, it gives me an HDCP 2.2 error. So, I printed the device settings on the matrix and it shows all outputs being HDCP 2.2 compliant except the 2 new LG TVs. I’m not sure why the matrix shows this as all the other outputs are also LG OLED TV, just a little older. On these new TVs, HDMI is set for deep color and all settings are correct, but the matrix still doesn’t see these new TVs being HDCP 2.2 compliant. I had this matrix setup about 4 years ago and have never been able to pass 4K HDR content through the matrix and was told it was because of the older Samsung  and LG TVs connected. These 2 new TVs replaced those TVs so I’ve been trying to set everything up to view 4K HDR content.

‘Since these new TVs aren’t recognized as HDCP 2.2 compliant, even after running a calibration on the matrix, I setup an EDID group to exclude these new TVs just to test the matrix and see if it will pass a 4K HDR signal. After setting up the EDID group, I tried to enable 4K60 HDR on the Apple TV, again, and the same thing happens, screen goes blank until it defaults back to 4K60 SDR. Reading the documentation on my LU642D, I read that it’s bandwidth is limited to 10Gbps so 4K30 HDR is the highest possible resolution it can pass, so I set a custom resolution on the Apple TV to 4K24 HDR and got a 4K HDR signal to output to all displays in the EDID group. Since the signal was unwatchable, I removed the EDID group and set everything back to SDR. So, I don’t understand why the matrix doesn’t see these 2021 LG OLED C1 TVs as being non HDCP 2.2 compliant, but even if it did see these TVs as being compliant, the highest resolution I would be able to use is 4K24 HDR, which sucks. I thought this matrix could pass a higher resolution than that. 4K24 or 4K30 content might have been fine 10 years ago, but after watching 4K60 content so much, the difference is much more noticeable. Right now, I don’t even see a benefit to figure out why these new TVs aren’t being seen as HDCP compliant if the best resolution I’ll be able to get anyway is 4K24 HDR or 4K30 HDR, which sucks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.