C4 Forums | Control4

Composer on M1 Mac w/ Windows 11 arm preview

nevets23

I'm trying to run composer in Windows 11 (arm insider preview version - the only one available for M1 Macs) on parallels, and cannot for the life of me get the composer app to launch. It installed perfectly, but when I click to open the app, literally nothing happens. I've tried running it in all different types of modes, but nothing works. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this issue? I've seen forums where people have stated composer worked fine on their M1 MacBook Airs running Windows 10 (arm insider preview version) on parallels, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on Windows 11.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steven

21 hours ago, nevets23 said:

I'm trying to run composer in Windows 11 (arm insider preview version - the only one available for M1 Macs) on parallels, and cannot for the life of me get the composer app to launch. It installed perfectly, but when I click to open the app, literally nothing happens. I've tried running it in all different types of modes, but nothing works. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this issue? I've seen forums where people have stated composer worked fine on their M1 MacBook Airs running Windows 10 (arm insider preview version) on parallels, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on Windows 11.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steven

I’m sorry I don’t have any good tips on addressing the issue you’re having but I can confirm that it works on my M1 mac using the exact setup you’re describing with parallels and Windows 11 and it works great.  Perhaps one thing that I did differently from what you’re trying is that I originally set it up using windows 10 and then it automatically upgraded to windows 11. Perhaps if you start with windows 10 too and then upgrade it might be work then trying for you?

I have it on a MacBook Pro M1 and a new iMac with M1.  The iMac suffered this fate oddly as it went right to 11.  However, i got it to work by rolling back to previous preview build.  When i first installed Parallels on the iMac composer worked fine but i ran an update that was called for THEN only old composers would work, even 3.0 works but 3.2.3 did not.  Strange behavior for sure but i rolled back and luckily that worked for now…

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 7:41 AM, amblinfan said:

I have it on a MacBook Pro M1 and a new iMac with M1.  The iMac suffered this fate oddly as it went right to 11.  However, i got it to work by rolling back to previous preview build.  When i first installed Parallels on the iMac composer worked fine but i ran an update that was called for THEN only old composers would work, even 3.0 works but 3.2.3 did not.  Strange behavior for sure but i rolled back and luckily that worked for now…

I'm having this same issue. Just to confirm when you say rolling back… Are you rolling back the version of windows in parallels or are you rolling back to an older version of composer?

I'm able like you said to get composer 3.0 or 3.1 to open but since my C4 system is on 3.2 it is telling me I need a newer version of composer.  However when I install 3.2 the app will not open.  Ugg....not sure what to do.

Any help will be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I was running into the same issue and found that any Windows updates seem to break functionality. So I created a fresh install of windows 11 and have all updates paused, and its worked fine since. At some point maybe there will be a windows update that resolves this, but the ARM version of windows is a BETA, and doesn't officially support Mac installs. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.