C4 Forums | Control4

New Dish Hopper Hardware

therockhr

https://zatznotfunny.com/2021-11/dish-joey4/

Looks like there is going to be some new Dish Hopper hardware coming soon. From reading around SatelliteGuys forums (https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/hopper-plus-new-hardware.393872/page-3#post-4659775), the guess is that these will all be Andoid TV based. The Joey 4 would be an Android TV device that also connects to the Hopper for Satellite TV via Coax. The Hopper Plus would be a device that connects to the Hopper via USB and also to a TV via HDMI. Interestingly connecting to an exist TV set top box was something Apple toyed with over a decade ago before they launched Apple TV (https://appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/13/apple_tv_dvr_interface_revealed_in_patent_filings.html). They were going to do it via Firewire. I think its a neat idea.

I hope Control4 has some drivers in the works.

Was just checking last week on DN hardware as I felt it was forever since there was an update. Interesting that this is coming along. 

Also really interesting to me that Dish has not started offering their product OTT like DTV is now doing. Reviewing their site content/photos and testimonials, however, shows they're really targeting the 55+ crowd and those that still only trust TV coming through non-OTT methods. Interesting for sure...

4 hours ago, tmj4 said:

Was just checking last week on DN hardware as I felt it was forever since there was an update. Interesting that this is coming along. 

Also really interesting to me that Dish has not started offering their product OTT like DTV is now doing. Reviewing their site content/photos and testimonials, however, shows they're really targeting the 55+ crowd and those that still only trust TV coming through non-OTT methods. Interesting for sure...

Dish has sling TV for the OTT stuff. That is their long term future but maybe not for another 20 years. Things like internet speeds and more robust home networking are things they cant control so they will for the foreseeable future still have dedicated hardware. Right now the OTT services are not good. We all want them to be but the experience stinks. It can save a few people some money but if you have multiple TVs in use, want lots of channels (Especially sports), etc. then the $15-$30 bucks you save a month really isnt worth it.

I think this new product will bring the best of everything. really excited to see this. i think having a dedicated network for TV makes sense (MOCA). Dish can still control that piece but also offer up the apps and things people want in an all in once device.

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

Right now the OTT services are not good. We all want them to be but the experience stinks. It can save a few people some money but if you have multiple TVs in use, want lots of channels (Especially sports), etc. then the $15-$30 bucks you save a month really isnt worth it.

Actually I would say it's the exact opposite. It's very good presently and far better deal if you multiple TVs compare to just one. Have had YTTV for 4 years now and majority of viewing is sports. Additionally, to get the number of boxes I want w/the amount of DVR space we need, the channels we want, this is the current pricing: 

YTTV: $65

YTTV 12 months from now: $65

DirecTV: $122

DirecTV 12 months from now: $188

Dish Network: $114

Dish Network 24 months from now: $198 (have a 2 year commitment).

What I was also getting at is I'm surprised they aren't offering their Dish Network experience and exact channel packages as an OTT service like DirecTV is presently doing. 

4 hours ago, therockhr said:

@RyanE i was thinking you were the one who created the current Dish network driver. I know you can't get into specifics but if there were to be new Dish hardware would you all be making drivers for them?

You're asking me to comment on Control4's future plans for hypothetical future hardware?

I'm not sure you understand how this all works.

:)

RyanE

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

You're asking me to comment on Control4's future plans for hypothetical future hardware?

I'm not sure you understand how this all works.

:)

RyanE

Sigh. There is definitely new hardware coming. I was hoping maybe you would at least give a generic “yeah if they make new hardware well make a new driver” response. 

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

Sigh. There is definitely new hardware coming. I was hoping maybe you would at least give a generic “yeah if they make new hardware well make a new driver” response. 

As the hardware has not been announced or released, it's certainly possible that it could use the same Dish API and would not need a new driver.

Why would I commit to something when I have no idea what's going to happen?

On top of that, we typically don't pre-announce new drivers, etc.

Sorry.

RyanE

• 2 months later...

According to the Satelliteguys board the new Joeys will be released this summer. Looks to be a couple of different versions; 1 with MoCa and 1 with wifi. These are in addition to the Hopper Plus device that is also androidtv that connects to the Hopper via USB.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 5 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 6:09 PM, RyanE said:

As the hardware has not been announced or released, it's certainly possible that it could use the same Dish API and would not need a new driver.

Why would I commit to something when I have no idea what's going to happen?

On top of that, we typically don't pre-announce new drivers, etc.

Sorry.

RyanE

https://www.dish.com/features/hopper-plus/

now that the hardware has been released can you say whether or not you all will be updating the dish hopper driver to support it or if it uses the same api?

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2022 at 7:41 PM, therockhr said:

https://www.dish.com/features/hopper-plus/

now that the hardware has been released can you say whether or not you all will be updating the dish hopper driver to support it or if it uses the same api?

@RyanE anything you can say about this? Someone said the Control4 icon was present in settings

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.