C4 Forums | Control4

Using a urc Single zone amp as a dumb amp

Nick Wanerka

Question

Ok so I have another question for the group.

I have so many single zone and multi zone amps and was wondering if there is anyway to use them as a dumb amp with a smart audio matrix?  I am a urc dealer also (but really only do control4 now. Only the best:-)) and URC won't even give out the ir codes so creating a driver is out.  The URC amps have an. Ir in on the back. Someone has to of had figured this out by now.

Any help would be great. Now that I learned how to use the audio matrix (don't know how I ever lived with out it or even how I would set up multiple audio systems without it?  But now all I want to use is an audio matrix in every system going forward.  There are so many great uses for them!!

So I am putting it out there to all you amazing integrators out there. Hopefully from one that is still learning and willing to ask for help after 1st trying on my own for days (me) to all of you that have been doing this for years. Teach me and let me be your padewan learner :-).

how can I use a URC amp in a control4 system ? 

Thank you in advance 

Nick Wanerka 

4 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Nick Wanerka said:

Ok so I have another question for the group.

I have so many single zone and multi zone amps and was wondering if there is anyway to use them as a dumb amp with a smart audio matrix?  I am a urc dealer also (but really only do control4 now. Only the best:-)) and URC won't even give out the ir codes so creating a driver is out.  The URC amps have an. Ir in on the back. Someone has to of had figured this out by now.

Any help would be great. Now that I learned how to use the audio matrix (don't know how I ever lived with out it or even how I would set up multiple audio systems without it?  But now all I want to use is an audio matrix in every system going forward.  There are so many great uses for them!!

So I am putting it out there to all you amazing integrators out there. Hopefully from one that is still learning and willing to ask for help after 1st trying on my own for days (me) to all of you that have been doing this for years. Teach me and let me be your padewan learner :-).

how can I use a URC amp in a control4 system ? 

Thank you in advance 

Nick Wanerka 

There is nothing keeping you from using "dumb amps" with C4 - especially if you are using the Triad AMS matrix. 

I'm not quite sure I understand your questions.  Do your dumb amps have 12V triggers?  If so, this should be all you need.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I would expect any Control4 dealer to know how to use and implement basic multi-room audio. 

No I totally understand what you're saying and yes I know how's program and and make my physical and logical connections. Physical connections. Physical in the real world lol logical on composer but the URC amp does not have a 12 volt trigger  It has an IR port.

So I was then going to just make my own driver but those amps do not come with a remote control and you cannot find the IR hex codes anywhere. I have searched long and hard for them and I have even gotten in contact with URC headquarters as a dealer myself.. They told me even though I am a URC dealer they do not give out the IR codes it's to anybody and that port is strictly for URC engineers to use. 

I did not tell them that I was using it in a control4 atmosphere, before you ask I was simply it was simply telling them that I was trying to make a custom I'm practicing with the amp but still no luck

So basically if I can figure out a way with the help of all of you on how I can trigger trigger the URC amp to turn on.  Their amps are usually just networked amps networked amps and programmed through total control accelerate programing.

So that is my problem, being able to somehow have the amp turn on when I need it to. 

Turning on is a must but I would love to be able to turn it on and OFF somehow 🙂

then if we can figure that out with the single zone amps, I then want to star figuring out how to use the URC multi zone amps in control4 

which amp are you trying, because i tried with dms amps and could never get it to work. i have a c4 system with triad matrix, a triad amp that is for inside the house and garage, then a episode amp for outside audio, a few t3 touchscreens around the house. i wanted a touchscreen in the garage and by my patio so i broke out a few tkp-7600 and a 7100 with a mrx-8. i added a heos to my control4 system and then setup urc to control heos, the triad matrix and triad amp. the urc touchscreens can now control all audio zones on the triad matix using heos music and volume control  of the triad matrix. one day maybe ill add t4 to the garage but for now this works fine and if i get my tkp-7600 all dirty i dont really care. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.