C4 Forums | Control4

Current consensus for multiple speaker Sonos system ? - one ethernet/rest wifi OR all wifi?

pinkoos

Hi my understanding that, Control4 aside, Sonos speakers can wreak havoc on networks if not setup correctly (ie, broadcast storm)

Anyway, my S2 system somehow fell off the grid and I'm going to have to add it back from scratch, I believe

It consists of 2 Beams and 3 One SL (or whatever they're called)

So I thought I'd take advantage of it disappearing by doing it the preferred way from the get go

So, should I hardwire one of them (most likely one of the Beams) in order to create a SonosNet and connect the rest via wifi,

OR

have them all on wifi which, if I understand correctly, doesn't create a separate SonosNet

Thanks in advance

Best: wire everything to single network switch, turn Wireless off on all but one. (rears and subs must be in typical wireless range of their soundbar, and if so used, soundbar must have wireless on)

Recommended: wire only one to LAN and use Sonosnet to the rest. Or make the one wired a Boost as central as possible.

As your'e 2 beams and 3 one, I'd wire a beam and use Sonosnet.

Your recommended setup is what I came across multiple times online when reading up on this, but my dealer told me this morning that it's no longer the case to have one wired and that everything on wifi should be fine

BTW, I have Araknis routers and switches, so I believe they have STP built in and, most likely enabled, though I haven't verified...not sure if that makes a difference

3 hours ago, pinkoos said:

Your recommended setup is what I came across multiple times online when reading up on this, but my dealer told me this morning that it's no longer the case to have one wired and that everything on wifi should be fine

BTW, I have Araknis routers and switches, so I believe they have STP built in and, most likely enabled, though I haven't verified...not sure if that makes a difference

What @RAV says about wiring to a single network switch is really important.  

We have 12 Sonos units, with 2 of those unreachable by ethernet.  Thus, we have a "less-than-recommended" setup of 10 wired plus 2 on Sonosnet only. Despite following all the Unifi best-practices on STP setup for Sonos, I could never avoid broadcast storms when we had Sonos units wired to different Unifi switches.  However, once we wired them all to a single switch, everything became bulletproof.  

As a related aside, from time to time, I have tried switching from Sonosnet to wifi, since we have a very solid Unifi wifi setup.  However, for whatever reason, I always end up switching back to Sonosnet. It just seems to work more reliably, at least for us.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.