C4 Forums | Control4

Looking to update my AP

tonyu1

Hi everyone,

i currently have a luxul xap-1410 as my ap, with a pakedge re-2 router. Was good for a while, but now I’m not getting a quarter of the speed that I’m paying for and doesn’t reach my third floor. Seems like old tech in a new age. I’ve reached out to my dealer and well selling little stuff doesn’t seem to be his priority. I’ve read that mesh systems are no good for control 4, so I don’t know what to do. Am I able to change or update on my own without a dealer? What is good to change to that supports wifi 6, good speed and long range. Unifi? Any help would be appreciated…

Thanks

You have a access point from 2016... At a minimum though, If your AP is on the bottom floor, it generally wouldn't reach the top well.. So, at the least, you'd want to hardwire an AP at the top, and probably replace them both to dedicated WIFI 6 AP's with WPA3 and ensure you get something business grade. 

I'd generally use Unifi, but lots of good Wifi systems out there at the moment..  Even TPLink apparently makes decent enough AP's these days  

1 hour ago, Andrew luecke said:

You have a access point from 2016... At a minimum though, If your AP is on the bottom floor, it generally wouldn't reach the top well.. So, at the least, you'd want to hardwire an AP at the top, and probably replace them both to dedicated WIFI 6 AP's with WPA3 and ensure you get something business grade. 

I'd generally use Unifi, but lots of good Wifi systems out there at the moment..  Even TPLink apparently makes decent enough AP's these days  

Is this easy enough that I plug and play or I need to get a dealer involved? Any models you would suggest? 

10 hours ago, tonyu1 said:

Hi everyone,

i currently have a luxul xap-1410 as my ap, with a pakedge re-2 router. Was good for a while, but now I’m not getting a quarter of the speed that I’m paying for and doesn’t reach my third floor. Seems like old tech in a new age. I’ve reached out to my dealer and well selling little stuff doesn’t seem to be his priority. I’ve read that mesh systems are no good for control 4, so I don’t know what to do. Am I able to change or update on my own without a dealer? What is good to change to that supports wifi 6, good speed and long range. Unifi? Any help would be appreciated…

Thanks

So the WAP itself while older is not really the problem. It's not 2023 tech but it has the right AC and N radios etc.

First. Who lives in this house and what are their WiFi use cases. 

With the extra wire to thr 3rd floor I think adding another same WAP up there could help solve moat things with minimal cost and engineering. Get one on eBay and find out how to get it to join or program it into your network. 

Replacing WiFi by yourself needs some knowledge of how your current network is configured. What lans exist on what ip4 ranges. What is dhcp reserved etc. Without that you could easily mess up your control 4 but the dealer should have thst info for you or the new installer If they don't want to do the job.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.