C4 Forums | Control4

Options for keypad dimmer - non dimmable load

SpencerT

What is the best practice (or even some options) for configuring a non dimming load on a keypad dimmer? Something like a chain of bathroom vent fans. 

I would assume there is some kind of relay I can use that will prevent a motor from trying to "dim".  A Shelly device? Something else? Is there a control4 relay I can use?

I'm being hard headed and do not want to use standard switches. I just want keypads in this new space. 

Panelized is not an option for me in this home (main panel location and aesthetics). Centralized switches (due to the location of my main panel) would need to be hidden at the other end of the house. 

I'm biased, but Shelly is a very good option, they're cheap, and modules like the new Shelly plus 1 PM units have a wealth of protection including overtemperature protection. In you're in Australia, you could also look at Kasta as an option (Zimi might have modules too which can be used). 

Shelly are wifi based, and have a huge range of products (which can use the same driver).

If you need more info, I actually wrote our driver. As a plus, we also include a relay-to-light driver with the suite which allows you to use the relays like lights too.   More info on: https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-shelly-generic

Sounds like a new build?

Put a light on the keypad dimmer, and put a Control4 switch in a closet/attic/inside vanity or other space to control the fan.
Program a button on the keypad to switch the fan.

If there's no other light to attach to the KD, you can use a KC model keypad, same thing without a load, wires like an outlet, and again, put the fan's switch in another reasonable location.

Control4 and Lutron don't recommend putting non dimming loads on a keypad dimmer (or any dimmers for that matter).  Even with zero ramp time, it still ramps up the load (albeit quickly) and over time this may cause damage to the non-dimmed load.

Depending on the location of the keypad/dimmer, switches.  You may be able to expand the work box an extra gang.  IE.  From a 2 gang to a 3 gang to fit another switch for the fan in.  If you're not comfortable doing it as a home owner, I recommend contacting an electrician.  

It may be more work doing it this way, but it's the right thing to do.  It's similar to what @RAV suggested but keeps the wiring close the original switch leg.  

Thank you both.  I definitely don't want to add a visible switch. If we can't get this working on the dimmer itself or with a Shelly, then I'll have to hide a switch in the attic (though I have concerns with the Texas heat). 

I really wish c4 made a switch keypad. 

Just now, Jeff W said:

I just checked the Control4 Switch specs for you.   Operating temperature is 32F - 104F.  If it gets hotter than that in your attic it will eventually fail.  

Thanks Jeff. Unfortunately it definitely gets hotter in than that in the attic. 

No worries.  Next best thing, do what RAV said, hide it in another area, in a closet or somewhere out of sight.  You'll need to re-wire the fan's switch leg to the new location.  But I believe it's better than connected to a keypad dimmer.  Good luck,  tell us how it turns out!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.