C4 Forums | Control4

Roon 2.0

Topspin14m

23 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Anyone else lose search functionality in C4 with Roon 2.0?

Got to say, I've been loving 2.0! Finally Roon in the car, and mac M1!

Anyway, seeing your note i went back and checked. In the Control4 menu it shows Library. Under Library the first item (search) goes nowhere. Artist, Album Tracks, Composer, etc all work.

I typically use my iPhone to control Roon, even in C4.... but i think you are right that the search feature is broken.

I check both my zones (I have 2 PI's w/DACs) and both have the Search broken.

Got to say, I've been loving 2.0! Finally Roon in the car, and mac M1!
Anyway, seeing your note i went back and checked. In the Control4 menu it shows Library. Under Library the first item (search) goes nowhere. Artist, Album Tracks, Composer, etc all work.
I typically use my iPhone to control Roon, even in C4.... but i think you are right that the search feature is broken.
I check both my zones (I have 2 PI's w/DACs) and both have the Search broken.

2.0 looks neat otherwise, but I use the Roon entirely to get the full Tidal experience on my C4 touchpads with Sonos. I stopped maintaining a separate mp3 library years ago with the advent of streaming. Now that the search integration is gone, I can no longer recommend Roon. Plus, they have given up support for the C4 driver, so this may never get fixed. Huge bummer.

Only good thing is that I can roll back to 1.8, but I fear we are seeing the end of proper Roon/C4 integration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Topspin14mI probably spoke prematurely.  the search doesn't work on my mac m1 running the ios app, but it does work on the T3 touch screen and iPhone.
Suggest you reboot the core and your controller and give it another try.

That would be awesome as I really want this to work. I’ll give it a go.

@Topspin14mI probably spoke prematurely.  the search doesn't work on my mac m1 running the ios app, but it does work on the T3 touch screen and iPhone.
Suggest you reboot the core and your controller and give it another try.

Still no change here. I rebooted the nucleus, disconnected from Tidal, reconnected. I also tried logging out of the Nucleus+ and back in. No search…. Anything else you did? Maybe I need to update the Roon extension or something?

10 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Still no change here. I rebooted the nucleus, disconnected from Tidal, reconnected. I also tried logging out of the Nucleus+ and back in. No search…. Anything else you did? Maybe I need to update the Roon extension or something?

Are you using the latest driver for C4? Did you reboot C4 after Roon upgrade?

Outside of that I'd post a note on Roon's community site: https://community.roonlabs.com. Also contact support direct. With 2.0 they've been very active solving problems.

15 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Have you tried to access Roon on the C4 iOS first?  

Here is my experience.  After my upgrade to 2.0, C4 wouldn't connect to Roon. I restarted the Roon server software and then also rebooted the Nucleus.  It still wasn't connecting at all from my T4 touch screens. At that point, I tried connecting to Roon on the C4 iOS app instead.  At first, that gave me a bunch of Zone not found errors, but after I clicked OK on all of those, it eventually connected.  Since that point, my T4's have been connecting too.  So, I chalked it up to the usual Roon C4 driver jankiness.  

Have you tried to access Roon on the C4 iOS first?  
Here is my experience.  After my upgrade to 2.0, C4 wouldn't connect to Roon. I restarted the Roon server software and then also rebooted the Nucleus.  It still wasn't connecting at all from my T4 touch screens. At that point, I tried connecting to Roon on the C4 iOS app instead.  At first, that gave me a bunch of Zone not found errors, but after I clicked OK on all of those, it eventually connected.  Since that point, my T4's have been connecting too.  So, I chalked it up to the usual Roon C4 driver jankiness.  

Thanks! I’m actually not having an access issue. I can access Roon in C4 on iOS, my neeos and my T4s. But when I select Tidal, the search function is just gone. Everything else is operating as expected.

Not sure why I’m experiencing this glitch as it sounds as though others have the search capability and it works fine in the native Roon app on my phone.

You can see below what I’m seeing on iOS for Tidal (which is the same across all my C4 devices).

ac3a8d327427f0a0667c26798debcfc4.jpg

31 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Thanks! I’m actually not having an access issue. I can access Roon in C4 on iOS, my neeos and my T4s. But when I select Tidal, the search function is just gone. Everything else is operating as expected.

Not sure why I’m experiencing this glitch as it sounds as though others have the search capability and it works fine in the native Roon app on my phone.

You can see below what I’m seeing on iOS for Tidal (which is the same across all my C4 devices).

ac3a8d327427f0a0667c26798debcfc4.jpg

Can you still search tidal from the Roon app?

3 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Yes. No issues with Tidal in the Roon app. Also, it functions as expected in C4 for the functions I have (I.e. it plays music from the available playlists - just no search).

Dumb question, not that i have an answer, but is it only tidal searches or your library too?

2 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Only tidal. I have the search bar for my library and it works. So weird.

d48b831e4f04ab74b04c0bb640a91d9c.jpg

Gotcha.  And now I understand why I didn't notice this problem!  I stopped using Tidal via C4, because it invariably crashes my touch screens when I scroll. Qobuz is fine for me in that respect, but I just had to give up on Tidal, unless I am using the Roon app.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 4:56 PM, DLite said:

Gotcha.  And now I understand why I didn't notice this problem!  I stopped using Tidal via C4, because it invariably crashes my touch screens when I scroll. Qobuz is fine for me in that respect, but I just had to give up on Tidal, unless I am using the Roon app.

I signed up for Qobuz to see if it had search functionality.  Added to C4 but no search.  Next step is to reinstall the Roon extension with my dealer…

On 10/2/2022 at 11:06 AM, Topspin14m said:

I signed up for Qobuz to see if it had search functionality.  Added to C4 but no search.  Next step is to reinstall the Roon extension with my dealer…

I lost the search function in Qobuz and Tidal also. Maybe it just took a minute for my Roon driver to catch up to yours.  Ugh.

6 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Ughhh. I was hoping it was just me so I could reinstall the extension. I guess now we need someone to fix the open source extension that Roon is no longer directly supporting…

This stinks.

Have you posted your problem to Roon?  They are still helping with C4 problems. And who knows, it might not even be a C4 problem....

I don't have Tidal or Qobuz and haven't looked at the details, but there are a number of posts on the Roon board about some problems - so again may not be a C4 problem.

12 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Have you posted your problem to Roon?  They are still helping with C4 problems. And who knows, it might not even be a C4 problem....

I don't have Tidal or Qobuz and haven't looked at the details, but there are a number of posts on the Roon board about some problems - so again may not be a C4 problem.

Yes.  Guess what their reaction was?  Silence.  I guess there just aren’t as many C4 Roon users as I thought.  

Plus they have basically wiped their hands of C4 by open sourcing the extension…

11 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Yes.  Guess what their reaction was?  Silence.  I guess there just aren’t as many C4 Roon users as I thought.  

Plus they have basically wiped their hands of C4 by open sourcing the extension…

I would repost in the SUPPORT section, I did a quick search and didn't see any postings matching  CONTROL4 & SEARCH - the CONTROL4 searches didn't seem related.

They seem to be supporting CONTOl4 problems even thought the driver has been moved to open source. The website still says you can ask for support on the site, there is no mention of it being non-supported.

10 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I would repost in the SUPPORT section, I did a quick search and didn't see any postings matching  CONTROL4 & SEARCH - the CONTROL4 searches didn't seem related.

They seem to be supporting CONTOl4 problems even thought the driver has been moved to open source. The website still says you can ask for support on the site, there is no mention of it being non-supported.

This is a reasonable suggestion, but I am quite pessimistic about Roon's actual support of C4.

I was a beta tester on Roon's C4 driver several years ago. As part of that process, I sent them a list of about 40-50 reproducible bugs.  Granted, some were minor, but a number of them were very significant -- e.g., multi-room playback didn't work, and playback initiated in the Roon app does not reliably reflect in C4, at least for Sonos users.  At the time, they told me they were opening support tickets and that their team was working on them.  2+ years later, they have fixed exactly none of them, and they long ago stopped responding to follow-ups. The Roon forums regularly feature Control4 users becoming irate at a lack of response for all manner of issues.

Sadly, I think we are pretty much on our own for anything other than the simplest type of support.

I will count myself lucky. I don't use Sonos or any other services with Roon, so searching and multiform, etc are all working as they should. 

It definitely wasn't easy to get configured, the install notes out there are a bit confusing, but once we got the info needed it all clicked.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

Tried Roon Support’s forum. No response. This is a major bummer as it would seem like something that is easy to fix. Roon just doesn’t care about Control4.

I agree with that assessment. And I also agree that every Sonos/C4 user should be falling all over themselves to get Roon, if the driver actually worked reliably for this use case.  

I dunno -- maybe Roon has rationally concluded that the Sonos/C4 market is not big enough for a company of their size to profitably address. I won't pretend to know their business better than they do.  But, their approach to all this is for sure a total bummer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.