C4 Forums | Control4

I need your help...Relay (?) question...is this possible?

ILoveC4

The unit triggers at >0.9A. At 16VAC figure 17 ohms. The calc. doesn't make much diff. on AC so figure on this. At 1A that's 14W. You would need a resistor with a power rating of 15W. You need to be looking for a wire-wound piece.

Okay, so I have the relay from Radio Shack. I also have some 10 ohm 0.5 Watt resistors. Any chance I can use these? A friend suggested I try and see if it gets hot. I trust this guy, but I'm after all the advice I can get.

These are the resistors I was hoping to use: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062309&filterName=Type&filterValue=1%26amp%3Bamp%3B%23047%3B2-watt+resistors

Dan, I can get you one in a pinch- they are scattered all over my desk at the moment. I'm not found of ice-cube relays but they do work. I 5S'd a bunch of DIN-rail, solid-state relays the other day that would have worked fine but...

Yeah I get 18 watts, you might have to go with either a wire wound resister or you can buy a cheap doorbell and remove the bell and just use the ringerless bell as the load, that might be easiest

Yep, if you have a Homes Depot near you Dan you could do this tonight. Just tell the family Christmas is delayed until further notice :) Remember, it's all part of the Control4 experience.

I may be missing some of what you want to accomplish, but you can trap the door bell press event and then perform either a C4 program action and/or have your door bell chime with just the components in your original diagram minus the Elk door bell sensor. The key is that you use the C4 controller to handle the door bell press event, and then everything else occurs downstream from the controller.

The below diagram attempts to express how to do this. Note that it requires using both a C4 relay and C4 contact switch within one of your C4 controllers (or, external devices if you desire.)

In Composer, you programmer on the contact sensor close event:

When the Contact Switch Closes

--> If doorbell_enabled is TRUE then toggle the doorbell relay

--> If doorbell_custom_action is then ...

I may be missing some of what you want to accomplish, but you can trap the door bell press event and then perform either a C4 program action and/or have your door bell chime with just the components in your original diagram minus the Elk door bell sensor. The key is that you use the C4 controller to handle the door bell press event, and then everything else occurs downstream from the controller.

The below diagram attempts to express how to do this. Note that it requires using both a C4 relay and C4 contact switch within one of your C4 controllers (or, external devices if you desire.)

In Composer, you programmer on the contact sensor close event:

When the Contact Switch Closes

--> If doorbell_enabled is TRUE then toggle the doorbell relay

--> If doorbell_custom_action is then ...

There are several ways this can be accomplished. WholeHomeControl, the way you describe it has one minor flaw. The lighted doorbell button will cause the C4 contact switch to think that the button is pressed. This is because This is why the Elk doorbell sensor is used.

Correct, the above doesn't support a lighted doorbell. Version using the Elk for a lighted doorbell below (simply inserts the transformer and Elk sensor in the doorbell pushbutton loop.)

Caveat: a resistor should possibly be placed in doorbell pushbutton loop to prevent excess current from surging through the transformer.

Well guys, I finally had a chance to dive into it this morning and I got it working. I used the diagram and suggestions from bhadams and it works perfectly.

Basically when the house is in a certain "mode" the physical doorbell doesn't ring and instead an announcement plays. I also have other programming take place regardless of the mode the house is in such as pausing the audio or video source, etc...

If anyone has any questions about how to do this or what parts are required please let me know.

• 2 years later...

I just got my Elk930 wired in to my system this morning. Is Composer Pro required to add the doorbell to my project? I am using a contact on my I/O extender which is already installed on the system. Please advise.

I just got my Elk930 wired in to my system this morning. Is Composer Pro required to add the doorbell to my project? I am using a contact on my I/O extender which is already installed on the system. Please advise.

Yes.

Thecodeman is right. There is still a driver to be added and bindings that need to be made.

The good news is...it's simple to do. Should only take a second for your dealer to do it remotely.

Archived