C4 Forums | Control4

Frame TV Tips/Recommendations/Pre-Wire etc.

therockhr

Not Frame, but I have 12 LG GX OLEDs, which are perfectly flush, as I believe the frame is. If you haven't bought yet I would seriously consider them as an alternative, as I think OLED provides significant advantages over other technologies.

I used these back boxes when adding most of them -- worked well in standard drywall for power, CAT6 x2 & JAP receiver. My fireplace is brick so actually used smaller cutouts to route power, CAT6 and HDMI from my 77" GX to a nearby location with the JAP receiver and power.

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

There is no back box needed w a few. It's one cable to the one connect box and. That can go far away if you buy the long one connect cable. Frames are nice TV's. 

I have to have a back box because (unless the one connect cable can be extended with cat6 or rg6) I can’t run the cable that long to my equipment rack. 

7 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I have to have a back box because (unless the one connect cable can be extended with cat6 or rg6) I can’t run the cable that long to my equipment rack. 

you can't put the frame tv one connect box behind the frame.  It either has to go in a closet nearby or in a rack.  only one cable goes to the frame - the one connect connect.  Everything else goes to the breakout box

24 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you can't put the frame tv one connect box behind the frame.  It either has to go in a closet nearby or in a rack.  only one cable goes to the frame - the one connect connect.  Everything else goes to the breakout box

? Why couldn’t you put it in a versabox or legrand box behind the tv? It should fit. I have seen several examples. What’s different?

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The one connect box is 14*5*3. As long as that can fit... 

it *should* fit in a back box between the studs in the wall. I’m going to keep researching. 

since the one connect box also gives power to the frame tv I assume it a proprietary cable and can’t be extended with rg6 or cat6?

2 minutes ago, therockhr said:

it *should* fit in a back box between the studs in the wall. I’m going to keep researching. 

since the one connect box also gives power to the frame tv I assume it a proprietary cable and can’t be extended with rg6 or cat6?

Correct 

Yes the one connect box is a pain

yes you can hide it in between standard studs

yes the XL Pro will fit most one connect box

thankfully they seem to be getting smaller

yes you can get insanely long one connect cables for home runs to a rack, but they're awfully expensive - and no guarantee they'll work with the replacement TV you get next...

yes they are a nice tv - so yes we have to deal with this all the time and yes it sucks

😶

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 7:55 AM, msgreenf said:

That's so weird, because that's exactly what we do. Of course you need a 14 x 14 Strongbox or some such plastic boxy in-wall box thing, but they're easy enough to retrofit

I get it, you can't velcro it up to the back of the TV, but we're the pros here. We make holes and stick things in them and after a few choices words for the plumbers or co-workers, we have a technological marvel on our hands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.