C4 Forums | Control4

Trick Bluesound Node to work with Roon Drivers

The bluesound is roon-ready, but when using the Blusoud drivers, you must control Roon with the Roon APP.

I'd like to also control roon from my T3 screen, as if I was just using the roon driver.

I'm wondering if there's a way to "trick" the system to allow a 2nd driver. Roon drivers control Roon core so no app is needed. However, the driver can't bind the same connections as the bluesound driver so they can't work together, at least not that i can tell.....

The kicker is I also want to use the bluesound driver to work with other streaming services.

Looking for any tricks...if they exist.

thanks.

43 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

The bluesound is roon-ready, but when using the Blusoud drivers, you must control Roon with the Roon APP.

I'd like to also control roon from my T3 screen, as if I was just using the roon driver.

I'm wondering if there's a way to "trick" the system to allow a 2nd driver. Roon drivers control Roon core so no app is needed. However, the driver can't bind the same connections as the bluesound driver so they can't work together, at least not that i can tell.....

The kicker is I also want to use the bluesound driver to work with other streaming services.

Looking for any tricks...if they exist.

thanks.

While I don’t have BluSound, I have a similar situation with Sonos, and I am able to leverage both the Sonos and Roon drivers. I assume you should be able to do the same.

Dumb question: what happens when you install an instance of the the Roon zone driver and attempt to select the BluSound zone in properties?

1 minute ago, DLite said:

Dumb question: what happens when you install an instance of the the Roon zone driver and attempt to select the BluSound zone in properties?

there's a binding problem... the bluesound has only one audio out....  in my scenario I can't even bind both as far as i can tell.

6 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

there's a binding problem... the bluesound has only one audio out....  in my scenario I can't even bind both as far as i can tell.

universal adapter driver, Its basicly an input output switcher for this scenerio

15 hours ago, c4toys said:

universal adapter driver, Its basicly an input output switcher for this scenerio

i don't think that would work. it's still a 1:1 in to out. it allows me to mix differnt connections (hdmi to rca).

I would basically need a way to select between 2 drivers, but only have 1 physical connection (bluesouind to C4 Amp).

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Just put in a fake audio switch.

universal adapter driver is c4 version of the input/output switcher we'e been using for years.  I havent used it (use the same ive been using) but it should take his 2 inputs to 1 out.. should work just fine, he has to put in the effert to test

On 4/25/2023 at 7:47 AM, ekohn00 said:

I may well be confused and/or missing something, but I don't think you need an additional binding.  As I recall, the zone driver will be bound to the driver for the Roon core, and then you choose the Blusound node as the endpoint in the properties section of the zone driver in Composer HE.  

41 minutes ago, DLite said:

I may well be confused and/or missing something, but I don't think you need an additional binding.  As I recall, the zone driver will be bound to the driver for the Roon core, and then you choose the Blusound node as the endpoint in the properties section of the zone driver in Composer HE.  

The zone driver controls the core but becomes the binding for the dac. In my case that’s the Bluesound, but I also bind the Bluesound drivers.  

however, you just gave me a great idea.  I can use the Roon zone driver to control roon for my Bluesound and just bind it to any unused input, but never physically connect it.  

so my Bluesound works as planned, and I can now change my Roon music with Roon driver 

6 hours ago, c4toys said:

universal adapter driver is c4 version of the input/output switcher we'e been using for years.  I havent used it (use the same ive been using) but it should take his 2 inputs to 1 out.. should work just fine, he has to put in the effert to test

No that is essentially a DAC driver: it's not a multi-in switch driver

10 hours ago, DLite said:

This is half right. The driver is bound to the core. That allows you to only select music, and the core to know to stream to a device. However, the driver also needs to be bound to an audio end point. If i was doing this as roon only, that would be input-1 on my amp. This is exactly how i did my main connection. you don't bind it to the dac but the dac's endpoint.

The twist is I wanted to also use the bluesound node to stream other sources using the bluesound drivers. And i could bind both the bluesound and the roon to the amp.

I did find 2 work arounds, as I could actually find away with all the suggestion on universal adapters.

1. Looks like I can use the roon driver and just bind it to any unused device. This way the roon driver goes to the node and lets me select the music i want, but won't interfere with the blusound drivers bindings.

I can then use the bluesound driver to select my streaming sources. 

2. I guess i can use a Y cable from the bluesound and have the one bluesound port connect to both input 1 & 2 of my amp. then bind bluesound to 1 and roon to 2. (still need to test this as I amenot sure what sending streams to an unused port will do overall.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.