C4 Forums | Control4

Motion Detector Camera

Rob21

Hey guys. I am looking to purchase a POE motion detector camera to pull into my Luma NVR. I am trying to avoid buying something that is not secure but I can’t find anything with a reputable company behind the camera. I understand that basically all cameras are using some kind of Chinese internals in them. A camera that only has access to the local network seems like a safe solution to me. I attached one that I am considering below.

https://dsccctv.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_78_108_111&products_id=416

Does anyone have any recommendations?

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

What makes that a reputable camera? 

I wouldn’t say it is but I do know that it works properly with my NVR and it allows one to turn off cloud access, so it should keep all traffic on the local network (although I don’t really trust that honestly). Do you have any recommendations?

using a non luma(hik) camera you will not be able to use the motion features. Yes most any cameras will work via onvif but you lose the ai features (older hik motion sucks any how).  just get another luma, call it a day. Some model nvr have alarm inputs that you can use a generic motion. Honestly the new camera AI is very good and worth upgrading the system

Look for Sperry West (also branded Spyder) cover cameras - these are commonly carried by ADI in north america. They should have the ability to turn of remote management and you can force set a blank or fake DNS so internet access is unavailable to begin with (alterntatively, just connect it direct to an NVR....)

They'll have both analogue and IP versions - I mention that because a lot of resellers seem to put all covert cameras under analogue, eventhough they carry IP ones.....

22 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Look for Sperry West (also branded Spyder) cover cameras - these are commonly carried by ADI in north america. They should have the ability to turn of remote management and you can force set a blank or fake DNS so internet access is unavailable to begin with (alterntatively, just connect it direct to an NVR....)

They'll have both analogue and IP versions - I mention that because a lot of resellers seem to put all covert cameras under analogue, eventhough they carry IP ones.....

Thank you! This is exactly what I’m looking for. Do you have any hands on experience with these cameras? 

• 5 months later...

Update: I was going to go with Sperry West based on above, but they were out of my budget. It's extremely difficult to find NDAA compliant covert cameras but I was able to find another option. The Vitek VTC-PIR4CN-4 checked all my boxes including being NDAA compliant for $75. I ended up ordering two of them and I installed the first one 2 days ago and put it on my Luma NVR. Vitek has a control4 driver for the camera on their website but I have not tested it yet. I highly recommend. Hope this helps someone down the line.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.