C4 Forums | Control4

PF Sense on Araknis

Jaywill10

Question

Hi there,

I would like to set my router up with a PF sense box or software. I have a full Araknis wireless set up including switches for Control4. Am I able to install PF Sense directly on Araknis or do I require a box to install it on and if I need a box, how would I connect it to Araknis?

5 answers to this question

G'day,

You probably can't.

However, whats the usecase for PFSense (or OpenWRT I assume)? Why exactly do you want to switch?

To be honest, a lot of network engineers have set up their own custom router at some point of time, but ultimately, a lot of us just end up switching back to a normal router. A lot of features always seem cool, but, often, the hackish firmware used to run on existing hardware sometimes has issues (unless you use a dedicated computer, and then you're draining power, so it ends up costing more anyway most likely)

14 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

G'day,

You probably can't.

However, whats the usecase for PFSense (or OpenWRT I assume)? Why exactly do you want to switch?

To be honest, a lot of network engineers have set up their own custom router at some point of time, but ultimately, a lot of us just end up switching back to a normal router. A lot of features always seem cool, but, often, the hackish firmware used to run on existing hardware sometimes has issues (unless you use a dedicated computer, and then you're draining power, so it ends up costing more anyway most likely)

It was more for being able to use a VPN. Networking is easy beyond my scope of knowledge and I find Araknis’ UI cluttered. I have 3 AP, the main wired switch the 110, and then a POE switch, I just don’t quite understand how to properly change their settings. PFsense was more of a idea to also just play around with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.