C4 Forums | Control4

The new C4 Media Player - playing the French sound track

I replaced my EVA8000 (Netgear) with the new C4 Media Player. Playing the same video files from the same NAS and now I get the French sound track for several of my movies! lol

I don't speak French and there is no way to access the DVD menus on the C4 media player so I can't switch the sound track to English.

Does C4 offer foreign language tutoring with the new C4 media player? What's a mono-language American supposed to do now? I might go back to the EVA8000 and ditch the C4 media player unless I can watch the movies with a translator. Maybe Control4 can supply a free translator with every Media Player that they sell?

HELP! Parle vous Francais?

Ha ha ha. But dinosaur, they removed the menu structure for your convenience. This is hilarious.

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. Hopefully they add menu support soon so you can take it out of paperweight mode. LOL.

I guess in the meantime there's always Rosetta Stone.

Yes, that's it!!!!! Rosetta Stone should be included with each Media Player purchase!!

Maybe C4 is trying to break into the French home automation market? This is their strategy! That's it! Now I understand!

Oh well. I'll hire a tutor in the meantime until I can access the DVD menu on my shiny new french C4 Media Player!!!

:lol:

You haven't lived until you see and hear Jack Nicholson do his famous courtroom testimony in French in the movie A Few Good Men!

C'est le cinéma incroyable! Maintenant un de mes films préférés est encore mieux!

Pourtant, je très l'apprécierais si Control4 rend les menus disponibles dans le chauffeur de Joueur de Media!

Your only solution right now is to make copies with just the English audio.

Now the media player is released' date=' I'm looking forward to those great guys on C4central posting just how this can be done, what the best compression and formats should be used for both video and audio...in short, what is the quickest and ideal way to store, sort, and stream videos with this player...[/quote']

We will when we receive one.

Dinosaur, are these ISO rips or VOB? If they're VOB you may be able to strip the French audio file out of the audio_ts folder...

The files are VOB and I already looked into stripping out the other languages but it was not obvious to me how to identify the correct files. I'm going to look into it more carefully tomorrow and I'll post here if I find the correct approach.

Dinosaur' date=' are these ISO rips or VOB? If they're VOB you may be able to strip the French audio file out of the audio_ts folder...[/quote']

The files are VOB and I already looked into stripping out the other languages but it was not obvious to me how to identify the correct files. I'm going to look into it more carefully tomorrow and I'll post here if I find the correct approach.

My choice was to re-backup the DVD (but my son took it away to college) or strip out the unwanted audio tracks. I found software that would allow me to do that and now I'm all set.

DVDFab5 is a great program. Im not saying one should back up their commercial DVDs using it since that is technically not legal. But, if you had a personal DVD that had both English and French audio tracks and happened to be encrypted to prevent duplication, DVDFab5 would still let you copy it and take out the French audio.

Im just sayin.

DVDFab5 is a great program. Im not saying one should back up their commercial DVDs using it since that is technically not legal. But, if you had a personal DVD that had both English and French audio tracks and happened to be encrypted to prevent duplication, DVDFab5 would still let you copy it and take out the French audio.

Im just sayin.

This thread is becoming funnier by the minute! Just what sort of personal DVD would one make recorded in both English and French...? All I can think of is something with a French mistress! Then again who would need to remove the 'French'...we'd all know what was goin' on!!! Again...I'm also 'just sayin.'

Make sure you post the YouTube link! Now if only the media player could stream YouTube....( pure speculation of course)...

:) It was a hypothetical after all. What is annoying to me is if I were to have backed up all of my DVDs over the past 6 months I would theoretically have done it removing all but the *best* audio track on each DVD (ie if there was DTS and AC3 I would leave only DTS). This would then have come back to theoretically bite me in the @%@# when I found out some media players can't downmix DTS to output via stereo audio for video distribution purposes. Had that happened in real life and not my Avatar-esque personal fantasy world I would surely be very irritated.

Moral of the story: Leave in both AC3 and DTS audio tracks from your personal non-copyrighted DVDs when you back them up.

Archived