C4 Forums | Control4

Araknis Multi-Gig Routers

GregCAMS

11 hours ago, fleon said:

See - that's my point.  These are residential switches designed for MOIP.  However, the lack a backplane (like you would find in a high-end commercial switch) which lets them reliably go beyond the 24 ports they have.   Commercial switches have that - these don't.  This is a product line with a lot of engineering drawbacks.  They don't have the high-end features you need for 10g, and they aren't big enough to be useful for any of my clients that might consider spending 7-11k for a switch.

In a residential scenario, you really don't need non-blocking. I'll use my own residential setup as an example...I have a Unifi aggregation switch with all 10g interfaces. On the switch, I have 2 of my NASs, my MacMini Server, my Mac Studio. The highest throughput is probably moving video files from server to studio to NAS. This can easily take advantage of the 10g interface, but I wouldn't have to worry about a non-blocking fabric since it's probably the only BW-intensive thing going on for a short period.

29 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

I have a Unifi aggregation switch

Ditto.  I was going to mention this.  I have a cheap ($270) UniFi eight port 10G Aggregation Switch to let three fast servers talk to each other at 10G.  My main switch is 48-port 2.5G POE to support 6E WiFi.  Generally no need to have more than a few 10G ports in a residential application.  Sometimes you can get away with just the four SFP ports you get "free" with your main switch(es)-- use two for interconnect and two to connect your fastest clients to each other).

8 hours ago, cnicholson said:

Ditto.  I was going to mention this.  I have a cheap ($270) UniFi eight port 10G Aggregation Switch to let three fast servers talk to each other at 10G.  My main switch is 48-port 2.5G POE to support 6E WiFi.  Generally no need to have more than a few 10G ports in a residential application.  Sometimes you can get away with just the four SFP ports you get "free" with your main switch(es)-- use two for interconnect and two to connect your fastest clients to each other).

exactly ....  im 4 ports for devices, one back to router, and one to the main switch....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.