C4 Forums | Control4

Tasmota devices in Control4

zaphod

I am starting to play around with Sonoff devices flashed with Tasmota.  There are some rather old discussions on these forums.  What are people using?  And how are you using it?  Are you using it via MQTT?  Or HTTP calls that could be used with something like the @alanchow's Generic TCP driver.

@Amr What are you using?

Anyone else using Tasmota flashed devices?

It looks like the @david@berto.co.uk has written drivers to do this and other features and they are on Github here.  But it isn't clear to me which drivers I would need to control Sonoff/Tasmota switches?  But what drivers would I need installed to directly control a switch without needing cloud or a MQTT broker?  Just the Berto Sonoff Relay driver?  Would I also need the Berto Cloud driver?

And can these drivers read temperatures and energy usage from Sonoff devices?  Or just flip relays/switches and read the status of relays/switches?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 7:16 PM, zaphod said:

I am starting to play around with Sonoff devices flashed with Tasmota.  There are some rather old discussions on these forums.  What are people using?  And how are you using it?  Are you using it via MQTT?  Or HTTP calls that could be used with something like the @alanchow's Generic TCP driver.

@Amr What are you using?

Anyone else using Tasmota flashed devices?

With Tasmota am using two drivers:

- http control using a T4Control driver that was pulled from DriverCentral, dev never replied to me why they did that!, am using it for single light switches like Sonoff Mini and Shelly

- MQTT control, using Berto.io driver, for any 2 circuits and more strips and for Tuya flashed devices like Diffusers, Curtain controllers, etc and also for all ZB3/RF devices that the driver supports e.g Xiaomi Buttons, Aqara remote, RF buttons, etc.

What are my plans? move everything to HA and use a C4/HA driver to control all devices that is not supported in C4 including hundreds of ZB3 devices!

18 hours ago, Amr said:

With Tasmota am using two drivers:

- http control using a T4Control driver that was pulled from DriverCentral, dev never replied to me why they did that!, am using it for single light switches like Sonoff Mini and Shelly

- MQTT control, using Berto.io driver, for any 2 circuits and more strips and for Tuya flashed devices like Diffusers, Curtain controllers, etc and also for all ZB3/RF devices that the driver supports e.g Xiaomi Buttons, Aqara remote, RF buttons, etc.

What are my plans? move everything to HA and use a C4/HA driver to control all devices that is not supported in C4 including hundreds of ZB3 devices!

Just fwiw, Control4 are actively planning on swapping over from ZBPro (secret sauce) to ZB3 in 2024, with a mention that interoperable Zigbee 3.0 meshes (open to use any device) will come later in 2024.  Which might bring the "hundreds of ZB3 devices" directly into C4, similar to the Common Z-wave drivers (I assume) - and then I guess 3rd Party drivers..

43 minutes ago, Leighm0 said:

Just fwiw, Control4 are actively planning on swapping over from ZBPro (secret sauce) to ZB3 in 2024, with a mention that interoperable Zigbee 3.0 meshes (open to use any device) will come later in 2024.  Which might bring the "hundreds of ZB3 devices" directly into C4, similar to the Common Z-wave drivers (I assume) - and then I guess 3rd Party drivers..

Any idea if that will require new controllers?  Or will all existing controllers be able to run ZB3?  Or just EA and Core?  Or just Core?

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Any idea if that will require new controllers?  Or will all existing controllers be able to run ZB3?  Or just EA and Core?  Or just Core?

I believe it was mentioned that CORE controllers will get it first, followed by EA controllers.

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

Thanks, I really like the Open Source aspect of HA, although there may be a downside to it if stuff stops getting supported.  IMO C4 would be better if they were more open to allowing end users to write drivers, but they make that difficult.

I hate HA really, but it evolved lately and very rapidly in the past couple of years, also it’s backed by 100’s of volunteers, so ZB3 stuff will remain for quite sometime, Tasmota is evolving as well, am using it as an Integration later to C4 till they get this native ZB3 support out, by 2025 EA might be EOL let’s see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2023 at 8:43 PM, Amr said:

Is there any way to control media stuff from HA in C4?  For example, I have on instance where I am using a Harmony remote.  I can control that through HA, is there any easy way for C4 to control that?  That says coming soon on that driver.

On 11/30/2023 at 2:49 AM, zaphod said:

Is there any way to control media stuff from HA in C4?  For example, I have on instance where I am using a Harmony remote.  I can control that through HA, is there any easy way for C4 to control that?  That says coming soon on that driver.

not sure if it works 100% - but he does have a release of the HA Media Player driver on his github here: https://github.com/bphillips09/Control4-HA-Media-Player/releases

Thanks.  I did install some of the drivers in HA, but not in C4.  This give me some control of C4 media devices in HA, like volume, but the transport controls don't seem to work.  So maybe this is the driver that I need to allow that.

Any idea what I have to do with this driver?  Do I need to install the HA-Base driver in C4 first? Then install this driver?  And do you need one instance of this driver, or one in each room with media devices?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.