C4 Forums | Control4

Tiling options for Samsung The Frame mounted in portrait mode?

I have a 50" Samsung The Frame mounted in portrait mode in the kitchen. We've been using it for images and mirroring a phone. This display is not great and displaying video content in portrait mode so I'm looking for options to tiling multiple sources. Does anyone have a solution to say tile 3x1 sources or creatively tile on the tv in portrait mode? In a perfect world I'd like to be able to tile things like security cameras and fill the real estate.

I'm hoping for simple. So far I think perhaps Videostorm could maybe do it, but I'm not entirely sure what would be involved and at what cost.

@videostorm Do you have an experience in supporting a The Frame TV in portrait mode and showing 3 16:9 sources stacked on the screen? If I wanted to do that on one tv what's required? Does splashtiles do that or do I need Netplay etc? I like what's happening with the splashtiles and had wanted to do a Dakboard like situation. I'm keen on getting a tiling solution for video and security cameras.

Thanks for your time.

10 minutes ago, Shoe said:

@videostorm Do you have an experience in supporting a The Frame TV in portrait mode and showing 3 16:9 sources stacked on the screen? If I wanted to do that on one tv what's required? Does splashtiles do that or do I need Netplay etc? I like what's happening with the splashtiles and had wanted to do a Dakboard like situation. I'm keen on getting a tiling solution for video and security cameras.

Thanks for your time.

Assuming you are looking for live (hdmi) video, then NetPlay is the way to go.  If only video files & cameras, then Splashtiles will work.  NetPlay can also display SplashTiles content so it is basically a superset.

For NetPlay, you will need to use a decoder capable of portrait mode.  Our VRX042 supports portrait mode properly.  A minimum system would be:

• NetPlay Manager
  • 1 VRX042
  • 1 or more encoders depending on how many HDMI sources you need

In portrait mode, you can show 3 video sources stacked.  You can even mix with other content if you like.  Our layouts are fully configurable.

If you decide you don't need the live HDMI video, a SplashTiles system would be:

• Portrait capable decoder such as our Lumi TV  (lumi-tv.com)
  • SplashTiles subscription (splash-tiles.com)

Free C4 drivers are available for both NetPlay and SplashTiles via our web site (video-storm.com)

@videostorm

Thank you, this is great.

Audio source control. If I had 3 tiles stacked vertically using Netplay and three encoders,  what are my options for selecting the audio from those three sources or mixing them and outputting them from the TV? I also have 2 CMX1616A2 to deploy so I can also output the audio to the zone or zones.

Can a Lumi TV be used with Netplay? Curious if I can use a LumiTV in place of a VRX042.

TV audio (tv speakers) can be selected from any of the tiled sources (via gui or C4).  If you are using CMXA2 centralized audio, you would likely just switch that way instead.

You can use Lumi TV as a NetPlay decoder (instead of VRX042).  VRX042 is a better choice for large installations (faster setup, managed via NVMM, etc).  For just one or a few TVs, Lumi TV is a good way to save some $$.

• 2 months later...

Update:

I have a Dakboard on rpi5 and an IR touch panel frame for the 50" Samsung The Frame TV. I've also ordered a Lumi TV so I can do a bake off or live with both and use whichever one works best for the task at hand. I will update again when things are clearer. I haven't had a chance to play with Splash tiles yet, but my wife is interested in finding some good webgl weather apps. I also need to find a new frame for the tv due to the added depth of the IR frame.

If anyone wants to mount one of these frame tv's that doesn't come with the vertical mount I've found this product to be decent. The same product is sold by a few different vendors. What I like about it is that the hanger channel is aluminum and cuts easily. This allows you to shorten it. You can also mount the tv anywhere on the channel so you can position the hanger to span some studs and position the tv offset. Its a very similar design to the OEM mount, but allows you to vesa mount it.

image.thumb.png.433e48c7d12b91f785ef65de970b5402.png