C4 Forums | Control4

Heated Driveway

Hey Guys,

I'm finally getting around to integrating my heated driveway and walkway into C4. I understand that C4 has a driver heater timer experience button, but it doesn't seem to be of much use to me because the maximum timer length is 180 min. I need my driveway heater to be on for days at a time. I'm not sure who would turn their driveway heater on for 180 minutes but I might be missing something. 

Anyway I am looking for ideas on the best solution for integrating a heated driveway. I do like the idea of having the heater turn on automatically based on weather. All input is greatly appreciated!

9 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I just went through this for a client...ended up using this driver, even though the Icons for the driver aren't as nice/driveway specific.

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/enhanced-countdown-timer/

I use this driver for numerous applications.  Great driver.

Thank you guys.

11 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I just went through this for a client...ended up using this driver, even though the Icons for the driver aren't as nice/driveway specific.

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/enhanced-countdown-timer/

Is it possible to change these icons to something that resembles a heated driveway icon? Does anyone have thoughts on programming the driveway to turn on based on weather?

31 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

Thank you guys.

Is it possible to change these icons to something that resembles a heated driveway icon? Does anyone have thoughts on programming the driveway to turn on based on weather?

You could this driver to allow you to control how long the driveway is on for and another button (icon) to show if it is on or off.  You could also have the other icon control on and off with on defaulting to, say. 3 days on and off turning it off…

If you want to link control to weather, I would recommend including a weather station in your setup.  I use a Tempest weather station but my problem is the opposite of yours - deciding when to cool things down (and how much)

I don't live in an area that would call for multiple days of heat, so none of what I write may be applicable to your situation. Does your system have a moisture sensor built into it? My setup (not C4, but C4 should be able to handle) is to have the moisture sensor run into a switched relay. My sensor is pretty sensitive and will go off for flurries and snowy rain. So I have the system programmed to send me a notification when the sensor calls for heat via the switch. The default is to have the switch control the relay, so I don't have to do anything with the notification if I want the system to run. But if I don't want the system to run I can push a button to turn off the relay for the boiler. The system automatically resets itself, so I don't have to worry about the next call for heat. We recently had a week of snowy rain. I had to turn off the whole system as I'd get multiple notices per day. 

2 hours ago, Rob21 said:

Thank you guys.

Yes, the driver files (c4z) are actually compressed zip files. With some effort, you can swap out the included icon file with the one you want to replace it with but you need to make sure you adhere to the same original pixel dimensions and for each repetitive one.

I've never felt the need for a driver with my system.  At least on my system, if it doesn't run when it is directed to by the moisture sensor built into the system it will never catch up.  It's not a system I think I will be successful trying to micromanage. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.