C4 Forums | Control4

C4-16amp3-b & C4-hc250bl reinstall help

AustinM

Question

Hi,

I recently purchased a home that has a c4-16amp3-b receiver and c4-hc250bl controller installed. All 8 output zones are installed and the controller is the only input installed.

Unfortunately, the prior owner left me no documentation and is unresponsive for passwords or support. I also had a service call visit with the original installer company and the tech provided absolutely zero help and only left me with a bill.

Is anyone familiar with this setup that can shed some light on what capability the controller is likely providing? Is it a connector to some streaming services?

Can I reinstall and reconfigure this setup?

How can I install and configure the app without invitation code, username, or password?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and input,

Austin

4 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, AustinM said:

I also had a service call visit with the original installer company and the tech provided absolutely zero help and only left me with a bill.

What did they actually tell you. I heard from you that you said they were zero help, but what did they tell you? People are going to have a lot of questions and there are some dealers here willing to help, but it can help if you could be a little more detailed on what happened with the original installer.

The seller is required to provide details on the system. If you recently bought it and didn't get anything at closing and the system was working during the sale then you have some leverage, legally.

The controller is older and most everyone is going to suggest that if you want to enjoy the whole house audio that you upgrade. If you only have audio that's a pretty quick solve, but does involve some money.

I'd suggest you get clear on what you want from the home automation system and what you would budget and then let some of the remote dealers help you out.

37 minutes ago, AustinM said:

Hi,

I recently purchased a home that has a c4-16amp3-b receiver and c4-hc250bl controller installed. All 8 output zones are installed and the controller is the only input installed.

Unfortunately, the prior owner left me no documentation and is unresponsive for passwords or support. I also had a service call visit with the original installer company and the tech provided absolutely zero help and only left me with a bill.

Is anyone familiar with this setup that can shed some light on what capability the controller is likely providing? Is it a connector to some streaming services?

Can I reinstall and reconfigure this setup?

How can I install and configure the app without invitation code, username, or password?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and input,

Austin

Super common story.

Honestly, in lots of older homes they purposely dump outdated equipment there as a selling point, and the HC250 was EOL years ago

That being said, you could still use it though. 

You'll need to speak to an installer (probably an onsite one in this case) unfortunately. They're like a computer, so they could be set up to do anything. And it might not even be plugged into the internet.

In a lot of cases though, if they've left the controller there, sometimes it's also for more than audio, but lighting too (so keep that in mind)

Hello,

Thank you for the very quick reply. You are pretty spot on.

The installer said the original install was ‘17 and the equipment was ‘out of date and not supported’. It wasn’t clear if he was referring to receiver or controller but based on your reply I’m suspecting the controller. He also said my best option was to contact previous owner for app login. However that option is not preferred for me.

Ideally, I’m hoping to have this system control 8 independent zones, by way of iPhone, using popular streaming services. No video outputs. No integration was security or cameras. No other automation integration.

Thanks!

Austin

16 minutes ago, AustinM said:

Hello,

Thank you for the very quick reply. You are pretty spot on.

The installer said the original install was ‘17 and the equipment was ‘out of date and not supported’. It wasn’t clear if he was referring to receiver or controller but based on your reply I’m suspecting the controller. He also said my best option was to contact previous owner for app login. However that option is not preferred for me.

Ideally, I’m hoping to have this system control 8 independent zones, by way of iPhone, using popular streaming services. No video outputs. No integration was security or cameras. No other automation integration.

Thanks!

Austin

G'day,

The HC250 was already out of date if installed in 2017, because the replacement (EA1) was actually released early 2016. HC250 was originally released in 2012

I'd try powering it down and ensuring things like lighting are still working before proceeding with anything.

If they are, then it's just a matter of choosing what system you want to install. There are lots of options (like VSSL, Musiccast, Sonos, HEOS)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.