C4 Forums | Control4

Double-tap bug

Running 3.3.3

I have programming which runs on double-tap of a keypad button.

There's a bug where two button taps of different buttons triggers a double-tap event on the last button pushed.

For example:

• I have a 2 button keypad where the top button is "Light" and the bottom button is "Fan".
  • I have programming for double-tap of "Light" which sets the brightness to 50%. No programming for "Fan".
  • I single-tap "Fan" and then quickly single-tap "Light"
  • Unexpected: The "Light" double-tap programming is triggered setting the brightness to 50%, despite only pushing the "Light" button once

It seems the logic for the double-tap counts any button tap, rather than accumulating only the button taps of the particular button.

Yes, they are seated well. I believe it's a bug.

I have double-tap programming setup on the top button of every one of my keypads to turn off that room and the problem comes up a lot.

I tend to avoid updating unless there's something to gain. Why mess with what's working.

I've kept an eye on the changelog since 3.3.3 and saw no indication of any double/triple-tap fixes.

20 minutes ago, marc4 said:

I tend to avoid updating unless there's something to gain. Why mess with what's working.

I've kept an eye on the changelog since 3.3.3 and saw no indication of any double/triple-tap fixes.

I've never seen or heard of it as a bug, thats why I was recommending update.  I use double tap (i find triple too much) in many projects and never have issues.  Are you programming on push and double tap?

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

I've never seen or heard of it as a bug, thats why I was recommending update.  I use double tap (i find triple too much) in many projects and never have issues.  Are you programming on push and double tap?

Have you tried to repro my steps in any of those projects? Does it not happen for you?

I can post a video of the repro.

I'd happily upgrade to fix but if it's never been reported and isn't listed as a bugfix in the release notes I don't have a lot of confidence that it's been addressed. 

I don't think I was articulating the problem correctly since we were getting into legacy lighting and brightness levels so I've made a demo.

NOTE: This doesn't seem to happen for every keypad configuration. Definitely happens for equal height 3-button configuration.

I'm a little worried I'll get a "You're using it wrong" reply with the simultaneous tap, but

1. sometimes I tap both buttons on a keypad at the same time to turn both lights off (and that works if there's no double-tap programming)
  2. it also happens if the taps are sequential, but very close together
  3. Even simultaneous taps shouldn't trigger a double-tap on any single one of the buttons

Here is the programming for the demo, a simple announcement on double-tap:

image.thumb.png.6947d44c94331aa546539c4260d1e374.png

And here is the recording:

1. double tap on the top button announces, as expected
  2. double tap on the middle button does nothing, as expected
  3. tapping top and middle button announces, UNEXPECTED

Interesting!  I understand what you are saying and tried simultaneously pushing button 1 and button 2 on a six button keypad and I also got the (unexpected) double click of button 2.

I don’t think pushing two buttons together is recommended but it should not do this!  The only time I have used pushing 2 buttons at the same time is with one of the Domosapiens keypad drivers which is specifically designed to allow for pushing the up and down arrows simultaneously.

• 2 weeks later...

@msgreenf any thoughts on the bug report now that my recording has made it clearer?

I may have to change all my programming to triple-tap to avoid the bug (since I sometimes press two buttons in close succession, but it's near impossible to push three buttons in close succession).

I suspected that would be the answer. Unfortunately pushing 2 buttons at the same time works in every other way (turns off both lights at the same time).

In terms of supported, I'm not after the ability to program simultaneous taps in any way, I just want it to not trigger programming. Still feels like there's a bug somewhere even if it's unexpected behaviour. 

It gets my wife all the time when she's turning off the lights in the house. She presses both buttons to be efficient at turning things off, but then activates the double tap programming unintentionally.