C4 Forums | Control4

Whistle Projects - Agent Variables

Agent_Variables_Banner.thumb.png.00559abaa4344cd7a90d35c2cb6b8f2c.png

OVERVIEW

This driver is used to view and make changes to Variables, created in the Control4 Variables agent, from a single UI.

Supported Variable Types
Currently the following variable types are supported:

• String
  • Number
  • Float
  • Bool
  • Device
  • Color

Features

• Customizable names for each variable. These names are specific for this driver only.
  • Only show the variables you want to see in the UI.
  • Toggle all of your Boolean values from a single UI. No more experience buttons for each one!
  • Optional pin code protection from the UI.
  • Set variables as read only, if you don't want people adjusting values.

Limitations

• There are no known limitations.

Support

Contact information:
This driver was developed by Whistle Projects. Please send any enquiries to whistleprojects.control4@gmail.com

Available at DriverCentral:

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/agent-variables/

agent_variables.thumb.png.bda36f64bcbbc3cb2915df4764d5a751.png     Screenshot_20240411-073032.thumb.png.4e042f137b69ba66d1f181a1a75d4500.png    Screenshot_20240415-171121.thumb.png.271d22b172dd19b580acb18c65586239.png

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This has been needed for a long long time.  I’ve used so many different work arounds for this over the years that it is scary.  Well done!

Thanks for the feedback, and glad it will help some people out!

We've heard some stories of people with lots of 'experience buttons' just to toggle Variables on/off!

We are also releasing an update to this very soon (hopefully tomorrow), that should help you setup your projects much faster; the show/hide all Actions will be modified to allow you to show/hide all variables based on their 'Type'. For example, you could 'show all bool' then manually hide those you don't want visible.

I display list per project?

For example.

Cool Setpoint list - shows all the tstat cool points in the house
Heat Setpoint list - shows all the tstat heat points
Current Temperature list - etc

On 4/13/2024 at 12:00 AM, RAV said:

I display list per project?

For example.

Cool Setpoint list - shows all the tstat cool points in the house
Heat Setpoint list - shows all the tstat heat points
Current Temperature list - etc

I think you have misunderstood the intent of this driver, or I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

This driver is for controlling Variables that have been configured in the 'Variables Agent' within Composer. Not variables that have been set within drivers.

On 4/14/2024 at 1:03 AM, WhistleProjects said:

I think you have misunderstood the intent of this driver, or I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

This driver is for controlling Variables that have been configured in the 'Variables Agent' within Composer. Not variables that have been set within drivers.

But I can create a user variable to match a driver variable. So was wondering if the driver allows multiple lists in one system for displaying that information to end user in one place, not so much manipulating the variable. Show all lock status, HVAC values, alarm window contacts etc.

On 4/16/2024 at 12:43 AM, RAV said:

But I can create a user variable to match a driver variable. So was wondering if the driver allows multiple lists in one system for displaying that information to end user in one place, not so much manipulating the variable. Show all lock status, HVAC values, alarm window contacts etc.

All of our drivers come with a free 30 day trial, so you can always test to see if it meets your requirements.

That said, the intent of this driver is just to show and allow a user to alter the values of any Variables that have been created within Variables Agent, from within 'Agents' of Composer.

I think I now understand what you are trying to achieve - Basically, you are suggest you would duplicate Variables within the Agents, so that whenever the driver variable changes, it updates the Agent Variable to the same value. Then, you would like the driver to show all these values all in the one WebUI, and potentially separated by 'Headings', eg. "HVAC", "Lock Status" etc. So the user could just scroll up/down and see everything?

This is certainly achievable, using the same UI design, but would need to be a different driver. 

15 hours ago, WhistleProjects said:

I think I now understand what you are trying to achieve - Basically, you are suggest you would duplicate Variables within the Agents, so that whenever the driver variable changes, it updates the Agent Variable to the same value. Then, you would like the driver to show all these values all in the one WebUI, and potentially separated by 'Headings', eg. "HVAC", "Lock Status" etc. So the user could just scroll up/down and see everything?

This is certainly achievable, using the same UI design, but would need to be a different driver. 

Correct on what I was thinking. Whether it's one driver with subheadings or using multiple instances of the driver, would depend on what's possible within the driver architecture itself.
It was thinking multiple instances to keep from long scrolls to find the info you want.

On 4/19/2024 at 2:57 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say I like the idea of multiple instances where you can choose which variables to display in a given instance…

We are working on this as another driver, stay tuned.

Due to the complexities of setting up each variable we are also implementing an admin tab within the UI to facilitate a faster setup.

Updates to Agent Variables, now supports Setting variables as 'read only' in the driver, so users can view the values but not change them (if you want).

We are also working on the driver suggest above, that will allow viewing any variable in the one UI (from all devices). Due to the complexity of setting up and selecting all of these variables we are also developing an 'Admin' UI, for configuring everything within the driver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.