C4 Forums | Control4

Qnap Nas

ERDrPC

Instead of building a multi TB Server 2008R2 server, I've started looking at the QNAP TS-809U-RP. Can C4 integrate this (or other 3rd party NAS) into a automation setup? All I want to do is have act as a RAID 6 file server which will allow me not to learn server 2008R2 or deal with maintenance issues (aka plug it and forget it). Using the other gigabit port and Multi-IP Setting, I'll have it setup to my home PC network for back-up and such. Or will the C4 harware be able to use the increased bandwidth if I set up load balancing when using a managed ethernet switch with 802.3ad configured.

I'm guessing that the integration will happen at the level of the front ends (XMBC, EVA 9150 or Dune 3.0) as they will pull content from it instead of having the QNAP push content (ie using built in twonkey for PS3 streaming).

Thanks

I don't see why you couldn't use ANY NAS with C4. All you do is tell C4 the IP address and file name (basically just the location) of the share it scans those folders.

I know that thecodeman said they are planning on specing the QNAP in some upcoming jobs.

Basically any NAS can be integrated, all they are doing is acting as file servers for Control4. The QNAPs are the best from what I have read.

I dont believe the C4 hardware is gigabit capable as they dont need the throughput (except maybe the mediaplayer?).

Basically any NAS can be integrated, all they are doing is acting as file servers for Control4. The QNAPs are the best from what I have read.

I dont believe the C4 hardware is gigabit capable as they dont need the throughput (except maybe the mediaplayer?).

The HC1000 is now 10/100/1000...

Thanks for the info. This may be more of a QNAP question instead of C4, if I wanted to run two of these for an even larger server (I have a ton of Blu-rays to backup), would I setup them up in series or parallel? Parallel would allow greater redundancy with two separate RAID 6 servers. Is there a limit to the number of NAS devices integrated with C4? Once the initial sharing of drives/folder is complete, I assume that when using either the C4 GUI or XMBC itself, the videos would show up as if they were all on 1 server...am I right? Last question, for those who use QNAP, is there a encoded bitrate limit you've noticed when streaming non-compressed blu-ray backups?

I love this site!

QNAP reply:

You can purchase 2 x 809U-RP and connect them to your same network switch.

Each NAS will have its own IP address. You can set the port trunking option to allow network fail-over or load balancing!

It's fairly easy to setup QNAP NAS: simply insert new 8x hard drives, and start the series of guided steps for initial configuration (e.g. choose RAID configuration, services, ...etc).

You can store all movies on 809U #1. and then setup Remote Replication jobs to automatically backup your BD movies to the 2nd 809U.

With the super power of TS-809U-RP, You can easily steam more than 8 - 10 high definition BD movies concurrently!

The 809U is capable of 100MB/s streamming = 800 Mbits/s.

A typical BD movie is about 40-50 Mbit/s

Theoretically, you can stream 16 simultaneous Blu-ray movies that are not re-encoded - the same quality of the disc itself. Or two simultaneous REDCODE RAW encoded streams for 4k @ 330mbits each. Or (almost) HDCAM SR HQ stream at 880 mbits (something you might find in HDTV shows as a master recording medium - uncompressed).

Beefy.

My only concern with using the qnap nas is the issues with integration their forums suggest with my movies/mediabrowser and 7mc. It's all about where to store the metadata. With WHS, metadata can be stored centrally and be pulled by the front ends. It doesn't make sense to store and update the metadata on the each of the 4 HTPCs I plan to run centrally stacked. When I go the video distribution route, I'd like to either use a skinned EVA gui, xbmc gui or 7mc with 3rd party mediabrowser added-in. These will all need to pull the metadata from their own drives or ideally from the central NAS.

Has anyone done this yet with their C4 distribution?? Maybe 2.0 will have this figured out with a better media display gui??

moviecoverflow.jpg

3328ho6.png

for a video of mediabrowser's gui in action

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 809 and i stream at least 2 simultaneously on a regular basis, and i've even been ripping 2 straight to the QNAP at the same time with no problems.

8-10 is impressive since most of the other brands have a hard time keeping up with just 1 stream...I guess i made the right choice!

I have a QNAP 509 Pro (its forsale in the forsale section) that i bought just before the 809 and it could handle 2 as well...pretty impressive units, they blow the socks off the Thecus i use to have from a performance and usability perspective.

QNAP reply:

You can purchase 2 x 809U-RP and connect them to your same network switch.

Each NAS will have its own IP address. You can set the port trunking option to allow network fail-over or load balancing!

It's fairly easy to setup QNAP NAS: simply insert new 8x hard drives, and start the series of guided steps for initial configuration (e.g. choose RAID configuration, services, ...etc).

You can store all movies on 809U #1. and then setup Remote Replication jobs to automatically backup your BD movies to the 2nd 809U.

With the super power of TS-809U-RP, You can easily steam more than 8 - 10 high definition BD movies concurrently!

The 809U is capable of 100MB/s streamming = 800 Mbits/s.

A typical BD movie is about 40-50 Mbit/s

Archived