C4 Forums | Control4

iPad/iPhone, IP Cameras and C4

stevil

Will be picking up an iPad tonight, and have also been thinking about how I might like to expand my Control4 system beyond Home Theater control... Currently have a HC-300.

We have baby#2 on the way and our video monitor we used for #1 might be dead/dying... Was thinking that investing in some C4 compatible video cameras with sound might not be a bad idea. Would give us flexibility to monitor from the Home Theater, and hopefully from an iPhone/iPad via C4... but I i know I can get an iPod app to access an ip camera directly:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/u-cam-pro-ip-camera-viewer/id363118358?mt=8

Couple of questions:

Does the iPad/iPhone C4 app allow for viewing a Camera feed?

Can I view the feed(s) via my HT through C4?

Are there any recommended cameras for what I'd like to do? Not sure if I care if they are wireless or wired (I think I have CAT-5 wiring in the room(s) I'd put a camera. Also, I want motion and suitable "night vision", not successive still images.

^There is interoperability within the drivers you have listed. These also work 100%-

BB-HCM371

BB-HCM715

BB-HCM735

As Dan stated, no sound through these drivers so don't expect noise out of a TS or your TV (without additional equipment and just CAT5e connect)

BL-C10A

BL-C1A

BL-C30A

On the Panny site (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Computers-Networking/Network-Cameras/Residential-IP-Network-Cameras.list.81535_11002_7000000000000005702) I don't see the BL-C10A or CL-C30A. Are these older models that are no longer available? What about the C101A - is there a driver for it in C4?

It looks like the wireless cameras are about $70-$100 more than the wired versions of the same camera. Why would that be? Certainly wireless chips are not that expensive anymore, are they? Or is this just because people are willing to pay for it?

Allow me to correct to my previous endorsement of the BB-HCM371. The Control4 driver may not apply to this model only in that the zoom function is inop. through 4Sight.

That's because the camera does *NOT* support zoom. It only supports digital zoom, which isn't controlled by sending commands to the camera. That's implemented on the client side, and is not really zoom.

Control4's IP Camera support only supports actual, optical zoom.

RyanE

So as not to suggest to someone *less informed*, because this camera does not have optical zoom but digital zoom ("zoom" being zoom), the camera should not fall under the *works 100%* using Control4 driver.

So as not to suggest to someone *less informed*, because this camera does not have optical zoom but digital zoom ("zoom" being zoom), the camera should not fall under the *works 100%* using Control4 driver.

Hugh difference between digital zoom and optical zoom, digital is not real zoom but an interpolation of what the sensor is seeing and adding in pixels to make the image look zoomed where as optical zoom is real because your actually moving the lens to create a zoomed image being presented on the sensor

LOL, you guys are killing me. Look, all I'm saying is that if you exclude the fact that the zoom feature on a 371 won't work through the Control4 driver you can use it all day long with the driver. It's up to the user to decide if optical zoom is useful or not. I'm not saying one way or the other.

Archived