C4 Forums | Control4

DB9(serial) wiring

akg4y

The image looks incorrect for "Straight Through" wiring. Are you trying to wire it for "Straight Through" or Crossover"? Your HW manuf. will tell you if you need a "Straight Through" or "Crossover (Null, Null Modem)" cable.

For Straight THrough" wiring on the DB9-RJ-45 adapter I use the following

#1 Blue

#2 Orange

#3 Black

#4 Red

#5 Green

#6 Yellow

#7 Brown

#8 White (Gray)

The CAT5 RJ-45 end should be wired using the 568B standard.

Thanks...when connecting TVs for serial control to a home controller is it typicall straight through or crossover? I would figure straight through.

The hardware being connected is a Pioneer Elite 60" plasma to an HC-300. I believe the cat5 ends are 568A.

Actually, does it even matter if I am connecting both ends of a cat5e cable with RJ-45 ends to serial connectors? As long as I do the same thing on both ends it should be fine I would think?

I also use that pin out

1. BLUE

2. ORANGE

3. BLACK

4. RED

5. GREEN

6. YELLOW

7. BROWN

8. GRAY

but I keep all my adapters the same and just change termination on cat5e cable

for "Straight Through" cable same termination on both ends lets say "B"

and for "Crossover" one side "B" (wh orange, orange, wh green, blue, wh blue, green, wh brown, browm) othere side with second and third wire reversed

(wh orange, wh green, orange, blue, wh blue, green, wh brown, brown)

Works everytime and I dont have to remember whitch adapter is what, just look at cat5 cable termination.

I have the same Elite and I’m also using the serial interface. I can’t remember if I wired it out strait or cross-over but here is what may help.

You can by a DB9/serial crossover adapter for a few bucks, if you wired it strait and it works your in business. If it doesn’t work add in the crossover adapter.

If you need a definite answer I can take a more detailed look at mine to see how I wired it.

JFR

Thanks...when connecting TVs for serial control to a home controller is it typicall straight through or crossover? I would figure straight through.

The hardware being connected is a Pioneer Elite 60" plasma to an HC-300. I believe the cat5 ends are 568A.

It should be "Straight Through." If you give me the exact model number I can tell you. I have every Pioneer RS-232 control manual for all their products.

Thanks GoGo, the model is the Pro-141HD 60"...

Just for my own knowledge though, if it is serial on both ends then as long as the DB9 wiring is consistent on both ends would it matter?

Thanks GoGo, the model is the Pro-141HD 60"...

Are you sure it's the Pro-141HD. I have manuals for the Pro-1410HD and the Pro-141FD but nothing on a Pro-141HD. I even tried to look it up on Pioneers site but nothing comes up when I put Pro-141HD in the search.

With that said, the Pro-1410HD uses a Crossover cable. The Pro-141FD RS-232 manual does not state what type of cable to use, more than likely it's straight through. If you do have the Pro-141FD you can also also control it via IP.

Just for my own knowledge though, if it is serial on both ends then as long as the DB9 wiring is consistent on both ends would it matter?

Yes, it does matter. If you are using DB9 to RJ45 adapters, the adapter on the controller end should be wired for straight through and the adapter on the equipment end that calls for a Crossover cable should be wired as a null modem or crossover. All CAT5 cables in between should be wired using the 568B standard.

FYI - As standard practice, on the controller end and on any equipment that calls for a straight through pin out we use Blue DB9 to RJ-45 adapters and Blue CAT5. On equipment that calls for a crossover cable we use a Red DB9 to RJ-45 adapters on the equipment end and Red CAT5. When I go out to a project that one of my employees wired I can tell right away what equipment calls for a straight through and what calls for a crossover cable.

Any Q's let me know.

Sorry about that, it was FD, the HD must just have been my brain filling in incorrectly.

Last two questions, I think... For crossover wiring which pins should be switched around?

and... When you look in the manuals what do they call the two types of serial wiring?

pins 2 & 3 are swapped on one end for crossover

xover :

2 -------- 3

3 -------- 2

5 -------- 5

2 ___ __ 2

\ /

X

3 ___/ \__ 3

5 ---------- 5

Straight thru :

2 ---------- 2

3 ---------- 3

5 ---------- 5

Sorry about that, it was FD, the HD must just have been my brain filling in incorrectly.

Last two questions, I think... For crossover wiring which pins should be switched around?

and... When you look in the manuals what do they call the two types of serial wiring?

The RS-232 code manual for the Pro-141FD does not state if it uses a Straight Through cable or a Cross Over cable. With that said I was looking at another Pioneer display RS-232 code manual and it stated that all Pioneer displays use a Straight Through cable. In my experience with Pioneer displays (Elite's), unless otherwise stated in the manual, I have found that statement to be true.

Are you aware that the Pro-141FD can be controlled via IP. If I have the choice between RS-232 or IP in controlling a device I will go with IP 100% of the time. I would suggest you take a look at trying to control it via IP if you can.

I still have all my Pioneer Elite's being controlled via IR.

Maybe I'll order up some of these RS-232 ends and switch it over. I would like to get rid of the IR bud, just not crazy about pulling the TV's off the wall. Two of them are on slim mounts, which keep the thing so close to the wall you've got to pull them down to modify any connections.

• 3 weeks later...
^I gotta ask- did you hire this dealer or just hear about this from someone else?

Just an FYI - TheaterXtreme of Richmond, VA was a franchise of the defunct TheaterXtreme corp. which I BELIEVE (I'm note sure) was HD'q in DE. TheaterXtreme corporate parent filed for BK (CH13) in early 2009. I think it was between Jan & April, I don't remember the exact month. TheaterXtreme of Richmond, VA is/was an non-corp own store.

They were my dealer up until recently... had to work with them because they were the contractors for my builder and it was a big mistake.. 16 months later my project is still not completed and they essentially walked off the job. GoGo is right initially they were part of the nationwide TheaterXtreme publicly traded corp which is now defunct but they maintained the name for their store.

They were my dealer up until recently... had to work with them because they were the contractors for my builder and it was a big mistake.. 16 months later my project is still not completed and they essentially walked off the job. GoGo is right initially they were part of the nationwide TheaterXtreme publicly traded corp which is now defunct but they maintained the name for their store.

There is a TheaterXtreme in Utah that WAS part of the franchise, then retained the name and everything once the corporate folks went away.

The only difference is that he seems to do a good job.

Archived