C4 Forums | Control4

Is anyone running 2.0 able to scan video media?

We discovered after the 2.0 update my system will not pickup any video media if it is in sub-folders. It has always worked before. Here's how my movies are:

\\192.168.1.210\Movies\movie title\movie title\video_ts

The share is:

\\192.168.1.210\Movies

The only way it will pick anything up is if I move the IFO and VOB files straight into the "root" folder. In the past this has always worked, now on 2.0 it doesn't. My dealer is at a loss, we were fiddling with it until 11PM last night!

The shares have been removed and readded, it didn't make a difference. Any ideas as to how to get this to scan the "sub-folders" like it always has? It scanned my media controller and found all that music just fine, it just won't find anything that resides in a folder within the share. SO FRUSTRASTING!

EDIT to add: We've always tried power cycling the HC1000V3 numerous times, including leaving it unplugged for about 10 minutes one time.

I should also add that we have added .IFO and .VOB to the list of filetypes to scan for. It doesn't give an error or anything, it just isn't picking anything up.

If my kids can't watch Toy Story 2 this morning, I'm going to be in the dog house. Please, I'm willing to try anything....my dealer is at a complete loss and is willing to hear any suggestions as well.

Revert back to 1.8 or before :)

Is there a setting anywhere so scan all subfolders? Or maybe instead of movie title\movie title just have one movie title directory? Why do you have two anyhow?

When I rip my movies, I use AnyDVD. I create a folder called "Movie Title", and the rip the video into that folder. It always creates a sub-folder called "movie title" (or something whacky) and within that folder is "video_ts" which is where everything resides.

I don't know why I do it that way, but I always have and it has always worked...until now.

I am thinking hard about trying to go back to 1.8. This is a big deal to me. I know that seems lame, but if my kids and/or wife can't watch a movie, she's going to be bitching up a storm. She's 8 months pregnant, it's 100 degrees, and my two and three old are wearing her out. She relies on about an hour of movie time everyday so she doesn't have to be out in the heat, watching them play in the yard the ENTIRE day.

In the meantime you can have your 9150 navigate to it cant you? Not as streamlined but the video is available at least. Sounds to me like something that was overlooked in programming... when testing they probably just had the videos being scanned all in the root directory.

But my dealer is running 2.0, and he has his movies cataloged just like mine and it works fine!

It may be worth adding that when he did the 2.0 update he elected NOT to have it convert my media. He said we would do this later, because of how time consuming it was. We were surprised to see my media moved up to 2.0. What happened is I added a couple of movies, and they wouldn't scan. My dealer advised me to delete everything from Composer, reboot the controller, and then do a scan to bring everything in under the new media management. That's when everything went to hell in a handbasket =)

From what I understand, part of converting your old media is actually a table/file format change not just a migration. If that wasn't done I wounder if 2.0 just can't get the info because of expected differences in table formats.

I don't know, but it needs to get figured out ASAP. I am hoping Matt or RyanE, someone can chime in here with some information that I can give my dealer.

What will happen for a new system that has never been setup? By deleting the share and readding it, you're starting from scratch. It should be able to start from scratch and do a scan...shouldn't it? If not, that's a real problem.

If we setup the file share to drill all the way down to the very last folder it works, but then I would need to create a file share for EACH MOVIE! It appears it is just a problem where composer doesn't look inside folders/subfolders anymore like it used to. I hope they have a fix for this soon, because as of now I have no digital media access. I don't have my "hollywood" movies scanned and cataloged in the EVA9150's interface, I use that just for home videos.

Oh, the other thing to point out, is that there are two .WMV files that reside in the \\192.168.1.210\Movies folder and it picks those up almost instantly, so it is scanning, it just isn't looking inside of folders.....

EDIT: Typo

EagleMoon, I appreciate what you're saying, but we have identified the problem not as C4 communicating with my NAS, but as C4 not scanning into subfolders.

It doesn't matter whether it is on the NAS, a USB drive, a share on my PC, etc... they all have the same result.

My wife is going to go out with her friends tonight so once I get the kids to bed I'll pull an all nighter. This will be working by morning =)

It doesn't matter whether it is on the NAS, a USB drive, a share on my PC, etc... they all have the same result.

Oh, I didn't see where you had tried other kinds of storage and gotten the same problem.

Not working on a locally attached USB drive blows my little theory.

Now clearing out a USB stick to do a USB restore to 1.8.2, restore the project in that state, then do the 2.0 update again and let it do it's media management this time, uninterrupted.

Let's hope it works.

Got distracted tweaking my new Droid X. The system is back running 1.8.2, and my media scans works they should! I'm going to leave all the other controllers on 2.0, and attempt a 2.0 update.

If not, at least it looks like I can easily go back to 1.8.2 until this little bug gets worked out...

Archived