C4 Forums | Control4

cat5 to serial rs232

I lik to use the RJ45 to DB9 adaptor. Usually cost around $7-10 each. When you crimp the RJ45 onto the cat 5 DO NOT use standard 568B or 568A it will not work. You need to use "pass thru". Pin up. WB/B/OW/O/WG/G/WBROWN/BROWN That is the code i use. You will also need to land the pins in the DB9 adaptor as well. I don't know what is the exact color code is here, but of the 9 wires only 3 are used. Tx,Rx, and ground. I use black as ground, red as Tx, and Green as Rx. Make sure they are the same at both ends. If it needs to be a null modem at one end then you can swap red and green only on one side. I have no idea if anybody else does it this way. This is the way I do it and I have never had a problem. I have done it like 20 times. This is complete madness on my behalf. 20 years in the bizz and never taken the time to learn this. LOL

FYI Concord 4 does not need a null modem. I just did one 3 weeks ago.

I lik to use the RJ45 to DB9 adaptor. Usually cost around $7-10 each. When you crimp the RJ45 onto the cat 5 DO NOT use standard 568B or 568A it will not work. You need to use "pass thru". Pin up. WB/B/OW/O/WG/G/WBROWN/BROWN That is the code i use. You will also need to land the pins in the DB9 adaptor as well. I don't know what is the exact color code is here, but of the 9 wires only 3 are used. Tx,Rx, and ground. I use black as ground, red as Tx, and Green as Rx. Make sure they are the same at both ends. If it needs to be a null modem at one end then you can swap red and green only on one side. I have no idea if anybody else does it this way. This is the way I do it and I have never had a problem. I have done it like 20 times. This is complete madness on my behalf. 20 years in the bizz and never taken the time to learn this. LOL

FYI Concord 4 does not need a null modem. I just did one 3 weeks ago.

Interesting post, but may I ask why 568b or A won't work?

It does not matter what the order is on an rj45 to db9 adaptor is, it only matters that the the order is the same on both ends.

As I am sure you know this is true of Ethernet as well. the order is just to make things uniform.

Brent

I don't want to run a seperate rs232 from the controller to the Concord4. The cat 5 is already existed. Is there an adapter that convert cat5 ethernet to rs232?

Thanks,

I want to point out that although the serial protocol can be driven for many, many feet the Concord 4 manual states that the serial connection from the automation module to the automation equipment should only be 25 or 30 feet (if I recall correctly).

There have been several discussions about this on the forum. You are best off using the superbus to extend the panel to the automation module and make the serial connection as short as possible from the automation module to the C4 controller.

Your mileage may vary.

Guess I stand corrected. The very first time I tried 568B to 232 it did not work for me. And this was some time ago. So I thought I was doing something wrong. Must of been my pin configuration then at the time. I will have to give this a try again next time. Thanks guys. Learned something new.

I've used A & B with a db9 adapter with control4, I can tell you for a fact that as long as it is the same on both ends, it will work fine.

Ditto, as long as the the right pins are connected, it doesn't matter a stitch which color wires you use. That said, standards are there for compatibility, so you probably want to stay consistent so you can re-use your wiring and connectors. I use 568B for that reason. Then when i wire the CAT5 to RS232 connectors, I use the same wiring in the same pins in the DB9 and ID the ones that I changed to get a cross-over cable vs. straight through. All of my connectors only have 3 pins connnected - 2,3 and 5. Those are the only ones that need to be connected (I think Acetechno made the same point...)

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of an IR bud in the front of my LCD TV, its got an RS232 connection in the back. Does it need a specific driver loaded in the controller for it to work? And if it does is there one available for Sharp LCD654U. Thanks

Instead of an IR bud in the front of my LCD TV, its got an RS232 connection in the back. Does it need a specific driver loaded in the controller for it to work? And if it does is there one available for Sharp LCD654U. Thanks

Yeah, you will need a serial driver.

Archived