C4 Forums | Control4

Email control over Control4

alanchow

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay guys, just getting around to setting this up on my home system and I'm having a problem somewhere...wondering if anyone has any ideas. I had it setup to just shoot me a text, but figured I would also have it turn on a light just in case the problem was in the sending of the text message. Neither work.

Screengrabby.jpg

I know the driver is checking the email and deleting it, because I can watch it get pulled from my email server. Problem is, the programming that is under the conditional isn't working. Here's a thought. I'm sending from my work email. It is setup to show my name "Dan Hendriksen" as opposed to my email address "danhendriksen@mywork.com". I don't think that could be the issue, but I'm grabbing at anything here.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I tried sending from a newly created *@c4diy.com address and it still didn't work, so the name thing isn't the issue.

Like I said, the driver is pulling down the email, the programing just isn't working.

I'm sure it is something simple and I'll feel dumb afterwords, but I can't figure this out...

Hi Dan,

Please try taking out the subject condition and try and send another message from your work email.

I have been having similar problems when sending email from my phone. The subject line is encrypted and therefore the condition is not firing correctly.

The way I spotted it was to send an email to my home address from an address that works ok and also send an email to my home address from my phone.

When the mail arrived, I opened up the headers on each of the eamils and noticed the subject lines were different. You might have the same problem I am getting.

I haven't worked out a solution yet though

Edit - also Dan, your email server cannot be a SSL server. Another thing, you haven't forgotten to add the pop3 server name to the Connections/Network indentify tab have you?

This is interesting. I set it with NO CONDITIONALS. No from=, no subject=, just "When Email Received" send text message.

Now I get a text message very minute whether I sent a message or not. The email account doesn't have one message in it, but every minute I get a text message.

Odd...

This is getting more frustrating by the minute.

If I set it up to send me a text message when mail is received (no conditionals for sender or subject), the programming fires everytime it CHECKS for mail, regardless of whether there is actually mail or not.

If I put a conditional for either the sender OR for the subject line (not both) the programming never fires. I know that it is getting the email, like I said...I can watch them disappear from my email server.

Any ideas? Anybody?

The driver will always fire an event when it connects due to the way i've designed it hence why you need the conditionals.

My driver will look for email addresses only. it will ignore first and last names.

Note that your keyphrases are case sensitive. I notice that your conditional is 'Test'. Make sure you email subject is 'Test'. Spaces before or after will also cause it to not work.

The case was proper every time.

Even without the conditional for subject...just with a conditional for email address it still doesn't work. I've tried setting conditionals for five different email addresses and non work. I'll try having the system poll a different email address and see if that makes a difference. At this point I'm frustrated to the point if giving up.

I've been through all that Dan.

Keep at it, the function works well when you understand it.

Like Alan says, the email function will always return a row, whether there is an email to fetch or not and therefore your trigger will fire each time if you do not have a condition statement in there.

As I mentioned earlier, if you look at the internet header for the message sent from your c4diy account, you need to look a the email from and subject line and see if it is set as you sent it or whether it is encrypted.

Alan would it be possible that we could have a step by step example on the programming. I've spend a good 6h on it and its just not working. I've tried 3 different email addresses and nothing. If I could just see some programming that works, I would know at least where the problem is. Also what is the pulling time on a HC 300. Just for me to know how long I should wait for trigger.

Well, this was a real head scratcher. Nobody could figure out what was going on. Finally I wiped my project, then reloaded it. Everything works perfect now. I didn't even make one change in one line of programming.

Interesting? I think so...

• 1 month later...

Installed and configured this driver in approx 1 hour today. I am using it to manage the heat / hot water at our Whistler cabin. The process was smooth and easy to follow.

One request or perhaps I have missed something: when you configure the system to send an acknowledgement after receiving an email message, you enter the address manually of the person to receive the acknowledgement. I would like the acknowledgement to go back to the sender of the original email i.e. the sender of the email processed by the driver. Is this available in a variable?

Archived