C4 Forums | Control4

Email control over Control4

alanchow

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its going to be a driver. Once your dealer installs and configures it you will need ComposerHE to program it to match email addresses and keywords.

Thats really is cool...especially since you can have codes or some type of designation that only you know to control your c4 through email! Great idea!!!!

i say 500 per license plus install lol. just kidding. actually this could end up being an expensive driver as your can create a "special" email just for your system, and then write an android / iphone / blackberry / whatever app that emulates the basic remote functions and sends the email. 1 way remote control with direct push to lights security etc. how bout side bar gadget that pushes the emails?

Possibilities are endless, so personally i don't expect this to come cheap! If you do please keep it to yr self.... alan's got to eat to ya know....

And how is this different from the twitter driver. I think twitter will be easier and even quicker than setting up an email account. Plus there are already apps for twitter for most phones and an existing web interface - twitter.com.

And how is this different from the twitter driver. I think twitter will be easier and even quicker than setting up an email account. Plus there are already apps for twitter for most phones and an existing web interface - twitter.com.

Well, the twitter driver doesn't work anymore, due to Twitter changing it's authentication this week.

The author of the driver may be able to fix it, but no timeframe.

RyanE

I can send an email with a code word in the subject line faster then I can log into a website or start an app and connect ect....

True, but isn't confirmation important too? 4Sight allows feedback and if you have cams, you can see results in some cases.

Thank you for your interest. This driver is not really meant to be a replacement for 4sight. It's really designed because I need a quick and simple method of controlling my system without installation of software or visiting a 3rd party website. I have email on my phone, computer, etc and it's easily accessible. Setup some drafts or as Joe said setup some one button macros and away you go. This driver may not be fir acetone bigot does expand the system.

Stupid iPhone autocorrect. That last line was supposed to say. This driver may not be for everyone but at least it expands the system:)

Also on a side note since this driver is one of my more complicated drivers I will not be giving it out for free. It will be licenced and encrypted.

Hi Guys,

I have made alot of progress these past few days (900 lines of optimised code so far). Currently i have some beta testers testing the driver out on different POP3 servers and to see how the fucntionality works.

No SSL functionality in the 1st release but am looking at doing it in future releases.

Driver will work from OS versions 1.6 onwards. I will release a installation/usage guide for it shortly.

When it is released to the public this driver will have a cost of $100au per project. Note that this driver is not endorsed by Control4 nor Convergent Technologies. Your dealer may charge you extra for installation and programming all the logic in.

Been talking to a few of my dealers about this one. Some of them have come up with some pretty good ideas on what to use it for. Here are some examples.

- queries (send status feedback via email notifications - requires 4sight)

- announcements (send keyphrases to trigger announcements around your home)

- general control (lights on, lights off, house off)

- setting HVAC remotely

Archived