C4 Forums | Control4

HDCP has been cracked

henniae

This stuff does confuse me though.

I prefer to install Compoment matrixes, they work, and they are quick, and they are expandable, and they allow audio to be run seprately to video and there are bi-directional drivers and they can distribute over Catx or component cables.

But is it now worth the hassle to install them?

GoGo posted a link to an AACS document that talked about manufacturers being forced, after December 31, 2010, to downgrade all output to 576i max if not run over HDMI. And after 2013 no manufactuerers are to produce devices with component outputs, and I suppose there will be no component inputs on TVs, so unless we use converters all over the place, is it really worth it going forward?

:/

This stuff does confuse me though.

I prefer to install Compoment matrixes, they work, and they are quick, and they are expandable, and they allow audio to be run seprately to video and there are bi-directional drivers and they can distribute over Catx or component cables.

But is it now worth the hassle to install them?

GoGo posted a link to an AACS document that talked about manufacturers being forced, after December 31, 2010, to downgrade all output to 576i max if not run over HDMI. And after 2013 no manufactuerers are to produce devices with component outputs, and I suppose there will be no component inputs on TVs, so unless we use converters all over the place, is it really worth it going forward?

:/

The 'sunset' is really misunderstood....

Here is one article: http://www.cepro.com/article/analog_sunset_ce_pros_weigh_in/

Blue-ray content is what really will change....

Although a snippet from that passage also says

"Worst case will be down the road, when manufacturers of other HDMI-equipped products stop putting analog outputs on their devices based on economic decisions. In that case, it will be the absence of connections rather than a mandate that hurts. I’d start planning if it were me".

It already very noticeable that new TVs have multiple HDMI inputs and only one component.

Problem is not knowing how long that road is. :(

Everything is crackable - technical know how' date=' computing power and sheer will. It was just a matter of time.[/quote']

So you saying composer pro 2.0 can be cracked? ...I'm just starting my own fire here. :/

I will repeat. If man can make it, man can break it.

I'll quote my friend Dave from up the thread (because I agree completely with what he said): "Everything is crackable - [it just takes] technical know how, computing power and sheer will." If you have the technical know how, computing power and sheer will then I guarantee you can crack Composer 2.0.

i giggled when i read it.. serves the idiots right.. HDCP and HDMI = fail

Would someone mind explaining what restrictions HDCP puts on HDMI? Is this the basis of HDMI matrix handshake problems and the like? is this the reason why say some folk are having trouble with HDMI mac mini connections to receivers...that sort of thing?

I've read the articles, but don't fully understand the ramifications of this......

Everything is crackable - technical know how' date=' computing power and sheer will. It was just a matter of time.[/quote']

So you saying composer pro 2.0 can be cracked? ...I'm just starting my own fire here. :/

I will repeat. If man can make it, man can break it.

I'll quote my friend Dave from up the thread (because I agree completely with what he said): "Everything is crackable - [it just takes] technical know how, computing power and sheer will." If you have the technical know how, computing power and sheer will then I guarantee you can crack Composer 2.0.

To amplify Dan's post and perhaps add more clarity I'll say this:

My post was addressing HDCP. But taken in the context you propose, yes it could mean that too. That statement is equally accurate in an even broader context as well - spend a few days with the NSA and you'll get the gist :)

The 'sunset' is really misunderstood....

Here is one article: http://www.cepro.com/article/analog_sunset_ce_pros_weigh_in/

Blue-ray content is what really will change....

The above is not quite accurate. The "Analog Sunset" means just what is says "Analog Sunset." It applies to devices, source and destination, that use analog video connections such as, Component/Composite, and not content. In fact you are already starting to see analog video connections go. I have seen 2 or 3 new devices with only HDMI. The most recent is the new AppleTV. The new AppleTV does away with all analog connection including audio even though analog audio is not part of the "Analog Sunset." You will still may see Composite/Component but output will be reduced to 576i max.

As far as HDCP and HDMI goes those are 2 separate and distinct things. HDCP is an encryption technology, while HDMI is a connection type. Although there are multiple connection types that support HDCP such as DVI, HDBaseT, Display Port, HDMI is the most widely used.

As far as cracking HDCP this is not new this was reported about nine years ago to Intel and they did nothing about it. At that time the keys were not posted publicly nor was HDCP in wide use. Why it's making news now is that 1, HDCP is now heavily used and 2, the keys were publicly posted.

Any CI here can get the master key but to do it you need to have a minimum of 39 (I think it's 39 it might be 36 I don't quite remember) devices using HDCP. You can Google it and look it up if interested. The reason I say CI is that they will more than likely have access to 39 devices and have the tools. The actual, and professional, reason to watch HDCP passing is to verify HDCP handshake issues between a source and destination. If anyone is interested I can post this with EDID as an example, showing how EDID communicates with a source and destination. I will not post HDCP. Not only is illegal but I think it's the wrong thing to do.

Archived