C4 Forums | Control4

Black and Decker Kwikset driver

wpervaiz

• 2 months later...

You probably figured it out already but for others looking for the Kwikset Door Lock Driver you can find it by going to "Search" then under "Manufacturer" select "Black and Decker" and it should show up "SmartLock RF Zigbee"

Yes, they're quite a bit more expensive, and the price of parts on the add-on board is less than the additional mark-up for the ZigBee enabled product, but if you think an add-on card like the ZigBee card can be produced (only the hardware) for only $4 in the volume they sell them at, you've apparently not brought a product to market.

Just recouping the engineering costs of the company to create it in the first place drives the cost of the boards up, and since they're not a mass-market item, that engineering has to be subsidized over a much smaller number of units.

Realities of design/engineering 101.

RyanE

I have brought products to market, and you're correct - I don't know how many units they plan on selling so I have no idea what that ROI projection looks like. Obviously there was SOME time and energy involved in making that zigbee card, I just feel like $249 is a bit much of a premium. Just my opinion.

I will say it again. I have them in my home and I like them. Knowing the door is locked every night is comforting...especially when my kids love to leave them unlocked.

really?

what products have you brought to market.

And if you want to break it down that far, its probably 45 cents in silicone.

NOW MAKE ONE.

Seriously Dan, MAKE YOUR OWN! Bring it to market and show them how overpriced they are.

DO SOMETHING.

Bitching does not count.

Hey everybody, Call DAN, he has zigbee locks for 104.00

Instock and ready for delivery

(I bet he can even get a deal on shipping)

really?

And if you want to break it down that far, its probably 45 cents in silicone.

NOW MAKE ONE.

Seriously Dan, MAKE YOUR OWN! Bring it to market and show them how overpriced they are.

DO SOMETHING.

Bitching does not count.

(I bet he can even get a deal on shipping)

My automotive accessories company has ~2,700 products...I'd offer to send you a sample product, but I picture you as a Ford Ranchero kind of guy. We don't make anything for a Ranchero...

A product we do manufacture that may be of more benefit to a guy like you is our Enuresis alarm. I don't know for sure where you're located, but it can probably be found at your local pharmacy or Pediatrician.

Seriously people (and there's enough blame to go around), I didn't sign up for the soap operas. That's what my mom watches, not me.

Yes, some may think they're overpriced. Some may not. Some may think they are, but still buy them.

Bitching about it, and bitching about the bitching about it ad nauseum, personal insults and offenses doesn't get anyone anywhere.

RyanE

Seriously people (and there's enough blame to go around), I didn't sign up for the soap operas. That's what my mom watches, not me.

Yes, some may think they're overpriced. Some may not. Some may think they are, but still buy them.

Bitching about it, and bitching about the bitching about it ad nauseum, personal insults and offenses doesn't get anyone anywhere.

RyanE

+1 Unfortunately, I agree, the "What the Heck" probably covered what everybody wanted to say (apparently not).

Let us all play nice and let the forum serve for the better of everyone.

By the way where's Alan?;)

really?

And if you want to break it down that far' date=' its probably 45 cents in silicone.

NOW MAKE ONE.

DO SOMETHING.

Bitching does not count.

(I bet he can even get a deal on shipping)[/quote']

My automotive accessories company has ~2,700 products...I'd offer to send you a sample product, but I picture you as a Ford Ranchero kind of guy. We don't make anything for a Ranchero...

A product we do manufacture that may be of more benefit to a guy like you is our Enuresis alarm. I don't know for sure where you're located, but it can probably be found at your local pharmacy or Pediatrician.

Thats ok.

I bet you make alot of parts for a YUGO.

In fact I bet you rock the nicest YUGO in Utah.

Good for you!

You da man

Archived