C4 Forums | Control4

Need Help With Ps3

Trudo97

I agree with ILoveC4.

If it is just a matter of asking the dealer, either he has asked and did not believe/or liked the answer or the dealer did not know the answer the question.

If everybody here just answered "call your dealer" then there is no point in joining in having this forum.

OP, +1 on spoonman56

I'm not sure what you meant by "I dont have internet access...." the PS3 with or without internet access will not work with C4 Remotes. as spoonman said you with need the IR converter for it to work but prior to that your dealer would have to load the driver in your system. as ILoveC4 was inquiring

Cheers, enjoy your new C4 I'm on the same boat (new c4), just not enjoying mine just yet. :(

I can't remember the brand I had, but I wasn't happy. It would sometimes get out of sync with the IR codes and ended up causing more problems than it was worth. Since the only ones that use the PS3 are my kids, they turn the PS3 on and off manualy (yes, I am aware that manual processes could get me banned from the C4 forum). The have to get the PS3 remotes to play anyway....

What is your problem?

Basically I (nor my dealer) know how to program the C4 remote to emit the IR codes to the Logitech Harmony PS3 Adapter (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/5732).

The adapter is designed to be compatible with Harmony Remotes. Rather than emitting discrete IR codes, the Harmony Remotes send rather long "Macros" of IR codes to the device which, in turn, sends bluetooth signals to the paired PS3. Because it sends macros rather than a single IR code at a time, the learning feature of the C4 remote won't work.

So now I have to manually turn the PS3 on/off with either its own remote or a Harmony remote. Same goes for when using the PS3 to view media.

Starting from 0:

PS3 receives only bluetooth commands

You need another device to convert IR to bluetooth - my Audio Authority Bluebeam is flawless

The IR codes are specific to the IR to blue tooth device you choose, but most use old PS2 ones

The SR150/250 does not emit any IR.

So you press abutton on the SR 250, goes to your controller via Zigbee

The controller fires the IR command from the driver to the IR bud mounted on the IR to Bluetooth

The IR to Bluetooth fires the corresponding Bluetooth command. For most IR to BT convertors, Macros are usually done here for needed functions like on/off. I think the one you have relies on macros from Harmony remote, so you would have to create the macros in the C4 IR driver (look in the harmony driver for the key sequence it uses). It should be easy to do for a dealer. The alternative would be to pony up some money for a different IR to BT where the macros are already in the device and called via single IR codes.

Remote central did a comparison of most of the IR to Bluetooth devices:

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/ps3_control_roundup/comparison.htm

I saw this one http://www.iusbtech.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=2

which looks exactly like the Bluebeam at half the cost. I can't vouch for it though and looks to be out of stock.

• 1 month later...
Starting from 0:

PS3 receives only bluetooth commands

You need another device to convert IR to bluetooth - my Audio Authority Bluebeam is flawless

The IR codes are specific to the IR to blue tooth device you choose, but most use old PS2 ones

The SR150/250 does not emit any IR.

So you press abutton on the SR 250, goes to your controller via Zigbee

The controller fires the IR command from the driver to the IR bud mounted on the IR to Bluetooth

The IR to Bluetooth fires the corresponding Bluetooth command. For most IR to BT convertors, Macros are usually done here for needed functions like on/off. I think the one you have relies on macros from Harmony remote, so you would have to create the macros in the C4 IR driver (look in the harmony driver for the key sequence it uses). It should be easy to do for a dealer. The alternative would be to pony up some money for a different IR to BT where the macros are already in the device and called via single IR codes.

Remote central did a comparison of most of the IR to Bluetooth devices:

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/ps3_control_roundup/comparison.htm

I saw this one http://www.iusbtech.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=2

which looks exactly like the Bluebeam at half the cost. I can't vouch for it though and looks to be out of stock.

Would you be kind enough to share your bluebeam driver? I have one and can't seem to make it work. Thanks in advance!

I may have a far simpler answer. I recently went to Best buy and found an IR receiver that plugs into the usb port on the PS3. it was $15, no need to go from IR to bluetooth. Mine even came with a simple IR remote and I could learn a few commands from that making my own driver.

Just stick on the ir blaster onto the thing and get the ps3 driver installed. Done

I may have a far simpler answer. I recently went to Best buy and found an IR receiver that plugs into the usb port on the PS3. it was $15, no need to go from IR to bluetooth. Mine even came with a simple IR remote and I could learn a few commands from that making my own driver.

Just stick on the ir blaster onto the thing and get the ps3 driver installed. Done

Do you have more info on that part??

Any part number or detailed description.

I would like to get one.

Thanks to all!

Actually this is very different from using an IR to Bluetooth converter. The part you're referring to does not allow you to turn the PS3 on and off. I've actually already got an IR to USB made by Nyko but I'm looking to gain the ability to turn my PS3 on and off. That being said, the IR to USB solution works great if you don't care about power control.

• 1 year later...
I just purchased the Audio Authority Blue Beam for my PS3 Slim. I got it paired ok, but none of the drivers seem to work. Srhamy or remeolb, I am hoping that I can get a driver from one of you two.

This one works for me

I strongly recommend buying a power supply for your BlueBeam. It's no fun to change the batteries when you're trying to sit down to watch a movie. You need the USB for power state tracking but the PS3 only outputs power over USB when it is powered on. So, your batteries will drain when the PS3 is off. A $10 power supply negates the need for batteries and frustrations...

Archived