C4 Forums | Control4

Air Con's

Hi guys and gals

I am looking at purchasing a Air Conditioner :) I am currently looking at and would something like: http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/home-appliances/air-conditioner/wall-mounted-type/AQ18VBANXFA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

What are the requirements so that I can control the AC via Control4 control:

1. Turn on and off

2. Control the temperature via C4 to the AC

What do I need to look for etc,,,,.....

I don't know that's why I am asking these questions :)

I want to know what specifications I need to make sure the AC has so that I can buy the Thermostat and get the installer (AC installer) to hard wire the external thermostat to it.

Is that all - the AC needs to support an external thermostat?

I'm not sure, sorry. Most air conditioning systems in the US are central A/C units with external thermostats, so it's just a matter of replacing the existing thermostat. I'm not sure how to go integrating other non-central A/C units like the ones you are looking at.

Honestly, I would not go with a Control4 stat. There are many, many features on a typical split system that you won't be duplicating on a C4 stat. I own an LG 185 which is one of few that accept an external stat. That stat is less than the cost of C4 unit and duplicates over 15 functions.

Honestly, I would not go with a Control4 stat. There are many, many features on a typical split system that you won't be duplicating on a C4 stat. I own an LG 185 which is one of few that accept an external stat. That stat is less than the cost of C4 unit and duplicates over 15 functions.

Thanks so much for that information!!!

Does the LG 185 integrate into C4 can I use the C4 thermostat controls i.e. on the iPad does it update the temperature etc ??

All about the integration ;)

What's R323? Do you mean RS-232?

Here's how heating and cooling systems work here (at least how I see it).

If you have a furnace a forced air, the furnace is used to push all the air through the house, both hot and cold. The air conditioning unit sits outside, and is wired to the furnace. The furnace is wired to a thermostat, which can call for hot or cold air. If you want to integrate with COntrol4 you replace your current thermostat with Control4's.

Hopefully that makes sense.

^So how do you deal with fan speed, air flow and ventillation mode using a C4 stat? The whole point of my post above is to point out that going C4 on all but the very basic of split systems is taking the elevator down.

OP, I hear you, you want everthing talkin to one-another. That's cool but I really don't think it'll be happening for you anytime soon. You can certainly find someone to clone the IR codes and build a driver though.

I don't have a Control4 T-Stat, I don't know much about them. I have zone system and haven't ponied up for the SAM.

In the time I was typing my post (complete with distractions and a conference call) all those other posts came in.

I guess just disregard what I said.

What's R323? Do you mean RS-232?

Here's how heating and cooling systems work here (at least how I see it).

If you have a furnace a forced air, the furnace is used to push all the air through the house, both hot and cold. The air conditioning unit sits outside, and is wired to the furnace. The furnace is wired to a thermostat, which can call for hot or cold air. If you want to integrate with COntrol4 you replace your current thermostat with Control4's.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Yup dyslexia :)

• 6 months later...

Guys,

I've been thinking about this also. The problem is, I have not found a split system with an external thermostat to connect a C4 Tstat to.

One dealer I meet told me he used c4 with IR to control a split system. Anyone else out there done this???

• 4 weeks later...

I have been running a C$ t-stat on my gas forced furnance and AC unit for 1 1/2 yrs now...has not skipped a beat. Biggest trouble was finding a GOOD heating guy to connect it up right. The C4 t-stat works great on forced forced air system...I wouldn't even attempt it on a heat pump, or a zone system...it is two flakey...Need to remember C4 is from Utah were most house only have gas furnaces and swamp coolers...any more advanced than that they dont work great at all. KEEP IT SIMPLE in order for the C4 t-stat to work.

I have been running a C$ t-stat on my gas forced furnance and AC unit for 1 1/2 yrs now...has not skipped a beat. Biggest trouble was finding a GOOD heating guy to connect it up right. The C4 t-stat works great on forced forced air system...I wouldn't even attempt it on a heat pump, or a zone system...it is two flakey...Need to remember C4 is from Utah were most house only have gas furnaces and swamp coolers...any more advanced than that they dont work great at all. KEEP IT SIMPLE in order for the C4 t-stat to work.

Heat pump is fine. Zone systems sometimes are not compatible as they don't use standard thermostats usually, but proprietary zone thermostats.

Most of the homes in Utah with C4 do not use swamp coolers. Many of them have plenty advanced hybrid gas/electric heat/cool systems. The key is standard thermostat controllability.

• 1 month later...

To integrate the normal AC WITH C4, you have to use COOL MASTER from www.extravegetable.com and that only works with VRV series of AC's from Mitsubishi, DAIKIN or HITACHI. For normal split AC, you have to do trial n error with remote to capture the IR commands from IR driver wizard.

If any body have the solutions, please share the details.

DP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.