C4 Forums | Control4

Kiwkset locks go offline

JFLund

I have several Kwikset locks in my home. Two of them keep disconnecting from the system (they don't send status updates or respond to commands).

Is this a known issue or do I have defective locks? My dealer hasn't been able to find any solution. Should I insist on these two locks being replaced?

I have found that I can temporarily get the locks to re-connect by using the "Get Battery Status" command in Composer HE, but it then goes back offline within 1-2 hours. To get it working correctly again my dealer has to disconnect and reconnect the lock in Composer Pro. They then seem to stay online for several weeks but eventually go back offline. This is unacceptable because I can't every be sure my locks will lock when I tell them to!

Thanks for any advice. BTW, I have the latest (2.0.4 I believe) director software and the locks are using dirver version 1.06.00, and I have replaced the batteries even though the original batteries were new and the lock works fine when it is online.

• 2 months later...

Had this issue with a customer. He had to pull batteries/unseat zigbee card/reseat it/put batteries back in. This would get it back online for about a week each time. Did all the recommended troubleshooting, then rma the lock. The new one he got has been rock solid for a few months now.

I assume that the fact that Ryan hasn't responded means that C4 has no solution. I have been hoping that this would be solved by a future update. It would be nice to at least know that C4 is looking into it. It clearly isn't an isolated problem. It is also a SEVERE defect because I count on the locks to lock. Otherwise why have them? It is very upsetting to wake up and realize my door was unlocked all night.

Ryan, is Control4 aware of this problem. Are they working with Kwikset to solve it? I sincerely hope this isn't a "its not our problem" type of problem.

I assume that the fact that Ryan hasn't responded means that C4 has no solution.

Ryan doesnt speak here officially for Control4, he's here on his own time. There are some facets he is involved in and some he is not. If he can make a comment about something and wants to he will, but just because he doesn't post in a thread doesn't mean that C4 isnt aware of something or has no solution for something, etc.

I hope they are aware....

In the meantime, I previously noticed that the locks that went offline were routed through my HC200. A few weeks ago I forced them to route through my HC300 (re-identified them with the HC200 turned off). I don't know how long it will last, but none of them have gone offline. This is the longest I have seen them all stay online. Maybe this problem has somthing to do with the HC200.

If you are having this problem you may want to try routing them through a different controller. I have no idea if it will help but it seem to have helped my setup.

BTW, I'm a fairly infrequent forum user and wasn't aware Ryan wasn't here in an official setting. Kudos for him being willing to help out.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same issue. It's scary to find you have been gone or asleep and your home has been unlocked. I depended on them functioning correctly. Hopefully, someone will find a solution. For now I will just manually lock everything.

If a controller misses two checkins for a device, it will show it offline. Why are the checkins not getting to the controller? My money's always on range or interference, and an extender as the solution.

2 feet away, there are 4 dimmers on the wall next to the door.

What does your routing tree look like? Just because there are dimmers 2 feet away doesn't mean the locks are routing through them.

Yeah, that's odd. Don't know why it wouldn't show the green but still shows the amber.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan... As we speak the green light came on but only after using the sr-250 and cycling it a couple of times. Could it be that we lock and unlock manually?

Sounds like maybe the manual setup of the lock may be dodgy.

If the lock hardware is not setup properly (things aren't aligning quite right), it may not indicate to the electronics that it's locked unless it's cycled electronically.

I assume you did the 'lock learning' process (the one that identifies 'handedness').

RyanE

Sounds like maybe the manual setup of the lock may be dodgy.

If the lock hardware is not setup properly (things aren't aligning quite right), it may not indicate to the electronics that it's locked unless it's cycled electronically.

I assume you did the 'lock learning' process (the one that identifies 'handedness').

RyanE

Is the lock learning something I can do or is this dealer only? Would be willing to try this.

Archived