C4 Forums | Control4

The case of the dimmer with a mind of its own

AK1

A few weeks ago one dimmer in my project started turning on during the night. Don't know exactly at what time since we are snoozing!

I have tried:

* Rebooting / resetting to factory default

* Remove from project and add / identify it again

* Replacing with a new different dimmer

So I conclude it ain't the dimmer that's the problem.

I have checked my project multiple times for scheduled events or programming that could do this. I have no events programmed for night time other than an event that turns off all lights and sets the alarm. When this event fires the problematic dimmer does turn off but somehow manages to turn on during the night!

Any ideas?

I find this posting a bit disturbing. I, too, have been experience one or two lights that turn on in the middle of the night. I have checked my programming as well. I STILl keep thinking it's something in the programming that I inadvertently did.

We all seem to experience this phenomena, but no one has suggestions as to root cause.

I would get your dealer to run the control4 software that allows all your programming to be compiled into one spot. Then they can easily work through it to see if there is some random programming left on there that is causing the issue.

Ive used this numerous times to resolve *mysterious* events

Thanks, I have done this already. This didn't reveal any programming "surprises"

I would get your dealer to run the control4 software that allows all your programming to be compiled into one spot. Then they can easily work through it to see if there is some random programming left on there that is causing the issue.

Ive used this numerous times to resolve *mysterious* events

I have done some testing tonight with a some 2.4GHz spectrum analyzer software and a few CA Repeaters. I can drag-out a dimmer command to about 45 seconds by altering the location of the CA devices in a known ZP hole in my house. Could it be that within the mesh algorithm, that time is added to this to rearrange the route back to the dimmer?

This sounds much like an episode of Fringe that my son and I were watching earlier tonight -).

Sorry, but I don't understand entirely. How would this arbitrarily turn on a dimmer?

I have done some testing tonight with a some 2.4GHz spectrum analyzer software and a few CA Repeaters. I can drag-out a dimmer command to about 45 seconds by altering the location of the CA devices in a known ZP hole in my house. Could it be that within the mesh algorithm, that time is added to this to rearrange the route back to the dimmer?

I've *never* had a single light or switch (fan, etc.) turn on without it being some sort of programming issue.

Of course, there's always the possibility this light is defective and is turning itself on, but I haven't ever heard of that.

It sounds a little like your project file has an issue, if your dealer deleted the driver and then added a new one. What can happen in certain situations (rare, but possible) is that your project may have a light proxy that is not assigned, so it gets assigned to the light protocol driver when it's added.

I believe Tech support can run the project through a tool to see if that's the case.

Also, as far as a light turning off in the bathroom, what kind of light fixture is it? If it's an in-ceiliing bathroom fixture, that is enclosed, it could be the over-temperature sensor turning it off. If not, and it's the dimmer itself turning off (bottom LED on), you either have programming in the project, or a defective dimmer.

RyanE

The time it took between a KP push (in my example, I bound the KP to a random dimmer) and the time the load actually responded was around 45 seconds. This was just one trial. With repeaters nailing the KP/dimmer, the response time was nil.

The point was to introduce a delay and it seems to be repeatable. I don't know how it happens that a random load would energize hours later.

The time it took between a KP push (in my example, I bound the KP to a random dimmer) and the time the load actually responded was around 45 seconds. This was just one trial. With repeaters nailing the KP/dimmer, the response time was nil.

The point was to introduce a delay and it seems to be repeatable. I don't know how it happens that a random load would energize hours later.

I saw this the other day on 2.0.2 and an upgrade to 2.0.4 fixed it. Not sure if it was the cause but response times in that case were returned to "normal".

Archived