C4 Forums | Control4

Wii and Control4

cgboulet

For those that are interested here is a write-up I did.

Hey, that's pretty cool.

So, does this mean the next time Dan publishes a way to do something with Control4 that's outside the "official" Control4-provided systems, you and Ryan will be the first to come to his defense against the merciless ad-hominem attacks here? ;)

You knew that was coming, right? :D

Do you have a problem with me? Go check out any of Dan's posts. I've never attacked him on anything. I've tried to help you on several posts/questions, but it seems you always have a negative tone against me (trying to pit me as the dealer vs the user). If you like, I'll just go crawl in a hole and not post anymore. I'ld like to think I've been helpful on this forum, but I'm starting to doubt it.

Do you have a problem with me? Go check out any of Dan's posts. I've never attacked him on anything. I've tried to help you on several posts/questions, but it seems you always have a negative tone against me (trying to pit me as the dealer vs the user). If you like, I'll just go crawl in a hole and not post anymore. I'd like to think I've been helpful on this forum, but I'm starting to doubt it.

What? No, not at all. And I definitely appreciate the help you've given me. It wasn't really personal with you -- I tried to show that with the smileys.

I'm just being a smartass with this because there's been so much negative posting here about people doing "unauthorized" things with their "dealer-installed-only" Control4 systems. There's been so much of it that I can't, and really don't have any interest in trying to, keep track of who does it. So, kudos to you for not piling on in those cases. But in my own defense, I didn't say you had; I just asked if you would be defending him next time. Not the same thing.

For the record, I'm completely supportive of people modifying a system they've bought so they can do different things with them. Or using and accessing it in ways not intended. So I don't actually object to someone breaking into their Wii, their iPhone, their AppleTV, their Linksys router, or whatever. Or, for the most part, their Control4 system. (Yes, there are some nuances that are different there.)

I apologize for offending you. I thought my posts would come across as more lighthearted than they apparently did. I was only trying to make a point for everyone, not attack anyone, especially not for doing something I actually support.

In summary:

Paul? Good to meet you. I'm Jimmy. Let's grab a drink later. Or a latte if you prefer. You can tell me about the good and bad of being a Control4 dealer. Or how you'd set up my zone2. Deal?

If a newbie can chime in here at his own peril...

It's not a question of whether or not anyone is or has been helpful to others on this forum. You all have. I can attest to this personally by both forum posts and email help. The issue has to do with the DIY crowd here being told by dealers and C4 employees that, to paraphrase, "C4 is not and never has been a DIY product. It has always been an dealer-installed product. That is their business model. You should have known this before you made your investment." This theme comes up frequently as new DIY folks discover C4, and the general tone seems to be such questions are not encouraged.

Well, the same argument could be made for the wii: "It is a closed system, no user modifications are to be made. That is nintendo's business model. You knew this before you made your investment." Yet dealers and C4 employees are encouraging discussion of how to get around the nintendo model. This is curious to say the least. Is such behavior okay for one product but not another? It seems the pot is calling the kettle black.

I don't wish for anyone not to offer their knowledge and help. I just hope the C4 professional community realizes something is a bit inconsistent when encouraging end user hacks for one product but not another.

Flame on.

I just keep my late night discoveries/debacles to myself now.....not worth all the headaches.

In my opinion, do whatever you want with your gear, at your own risk. The "at your own risk" part is key. Just understand once you venture into new territory, you're on your own, per se.

. . . .Well, the same argument could be made for the wii: "It is a closed system, no user modifications are to be made. That is nintendo's business model. You knew this before you made your investment." Yet dealers and C4 employees are encouraging discussion of how to get around the nintendo model. This is curious to say the least. Is such behavior okay for one product but not another? It seems the pot is calling the kettle black.

It's called "Hypocrisy". Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

. . . .Well' date=' the same argument could be made for the wii: "It is a closed system, no user modifications are to be made. That is nintendo's business model. You knew this before you made your investment." Yet dealers and C4 employees are encouraging discussion of how to get around the nintendo model. This is curious to say the least. Is such behavior okay for one product but not another? It seems the pot is calling the kettle black.[/quote']

It called "Hypocrisy". Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

lol

Thanks for the clarification James. Now it is really becoming clear to me :)

lol

Let me state (personally, not as a representative of Control4):

I have no problem if you want to 'hack' your Control4 system. Others have done some interesting things along those lines, including some who post here, and others who do not.

I don't necessarily include in that 'hacking', however, that Control4 is obligated to give you ComposerPro to do that hacking. Nintendo hasn't been giving out their development tools to these people who have figured out a way to do more with the system.

RyanE

• 2 months later...

Excellent article. I found it by a homeowner requesting for just this over an Atlona 8x8 HDMI. I'm going to hardwire the sensors though because I've heard the batteries run down quickly and this is a $2,000,000 home and they will be way too far from the rack I'm afraid to use the wireless ones even if we wanted to. I need to find a way to swith the 3.5mm plugs. I know I can use 3.5mm wall plates, run the wire to the rack, at that point I dont know if it would work but I can turn them into L and R analog audio, run a cheap atlona analog audio switch (like thishttp://www.atlona.com/4x1-ATLONA-COMPONENT-VIDEO-SWITCHER-WITH-DIGITAL-AND-ANALOG-AUDIO.html), then use wire them back to the plug on the Wii.

• 7 months later...

I am new to control4 and just got a wii player. I hooked it up to my TV but it doesn't show up as an App in the control4 menu. So now I can't get the wii to work through my TV or the control4. I am not very Tech minded. Are there simple instructions to link this up so my wife can use her wii player to workout.

If so where would I find this information?

Thanks

I am new to control4 and just got a wii player. I hooked it up to my TV but it doesn't show up as an App in the control4 menu. So now I can't get the wii to work through my TV or the control4. I am not very Tech minded. Are there simple instructions to link this up so my wife can use her wii player to workout.

If so where would I find this information?

Thanks

Your dealer will need to add so when you hit wii icon it goes to video 1 or what ever you need set up for tv. Hope that is what you needed...

You can use remote that came with tv until dealer sets this up for sr250 remote.

Wii sensor bars do nothing but emit constant infrared. You can actually even wire up any IR LEDs above the tv and it will work. The wiimotes have IR receivers on the front of them that triangulate their position based on the ir it senses. It then sends this information back via Bluetooth to the wii. Your biggest issue is Bluetooth range back to the wii in the centralised rack. Hope this helps anyone reading.

Archived