C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI, Component Sunset, and Home Controller Video Output

well_armed

When is C4 going to release a Home Controller with HDMI output for its GUI?

I want to make the jump to an HDMI matrix switch, and realize this is the main sticking point.

Background:

I want to eliminate the redundancy in my system (have both component distribution and HDMI runs to local t.v.s), and I simply want update my system to scale with technology since component is being phased out completely. Some new T.V.'s don't even have a single component input!

Problem:

When I research the switch to HDMI, I realize I still have to keep my component switch to distribute Navigator GUI (I have HC's located in the rack, versus at each t.v.). I realize I don't need Navigator on each monitor and I can do the source switching from remote, but I like being able to control my security stuff while in bed, etc. thru navigator. That is why I have C4, for its ass kicking Flash GUI with all these awesome apps at my finger tips! ;-)

Am I missing something here? Why has C4 waited so long to release a Home Controller with HDMI output? Its a simple hardware fix. Pick up the phone, call your chinese supplier, and lets get this started please.

Sincerely,

Invested C4 Owner

HDMI is a good idea in theory, but in practice it really stinks. I love not having to mess with a ton of cables, but have you noticed that HDMI cables/components have a version number on them and component cables never have? While a single HDMI cable is convenient, the groups behind it have gone a long way to prevent DRM infringement so every device using HDMI has to "handshake" to verify it's authorized. This technology changes, hence the version # (I think it's on 1.4 right now).

Case in point: I have a 2 1/2 yr old Epson projector connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI to a 100" screen. The receiver can upscale any input to 1080p, which is how I had it configured. I ran into problem after problem with the receiver losing the handshake with the projector (do a youtube search for HDMI blinking) and it thinking there was no connection. After 6 months of back and forth with Onkyo, they replaced it with a brand-spaking new 3008 receiver. I still get blinking at 1080p, but not at 1080i. Why? The projector is stuck on v1.3 HDMI while the receiver is v1.4.

Good idea, lousy performance IMHO. Unless you've got a screen as big or bigger than mine and REALLY want the 1080p, stick with Component. If you need a good, big matrix switch for component at a good price, go with Shinybow.

I'm pretty sure it requires a five figure licensing fee....that's my guess on the delay.

I call bullsh*t. Plenty of other small biz makers have boxes with HDMI on them...

HDMI is a good idea in theory, but in practice it really stinks. I love not having to mess with a ton of cables, but have you noticed that HDMI cables/components have a version number on them and component cables never have? While a single HDMI cable is convenient, the groups behind it have gone a long way to prevent DRM infringement so every device using HDMI has to "handshake" to verify it's authorized. This technology changes, hence the version # (I think it's on 1.4 right now).

Case in point: I have a 2 1/2 yr old Epson projector connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI to a 100" screen. The receiver can upscale any input to 1080p, which is how I had it configured. I ran into problem after problem with the receiver losing the handshake with the projector (do a youtube search for HDMI blinking) and it thinking there was no connection. After 6 months of back and forth with Onkyo, they replaced it with a brand-spaking new 3008 receiver. I still get blinking at 1080p, but not at 1080i. Why? The projector is stuck on v1.3 HDMI while the receiver is v1.4.

Good idea, lousy performance IMHO. Unless you've got a screen as big or bigger than mine and REALLY want the 1080p, stick with Component. If you need a good, big matrix switch for component at a good price, go with Shinybow.

Component is going bye bye, that is NOT a solution.

Not sure if this will work but monoprice sells a component to hdmi converter http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=7110&seq=1&format=2 - that many people use for their wii's, with good results. Now I'm just waiting for monoprice to start selling an 8x8 Matrix and then I'll be in business.

Not sure if this will work but monoprice sells a component to hdmi converter http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=7110&seq=1&format=2 - that many people use for their wii's, with good results. Now I'm just waiting for monoprice to start selling an 8x8 Matrix and then I'll be in business.

Not a solution.

Dude, I don't work for, or have any affiliation with Control4. You're on here with an attitude like someone on this board owes you an answer. Nobody here (with the exclusion of a few like RyanE) knows what Control4 is doing, or why. I just threw that out there because I'd heard the licensing was expensive (http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=65100#p65100).

I've got no idea why, and judging by the response to your question ("Analog is dying people, what is C4 going to do about it") I don't think anyone else does either.

The component to HDMI converters are a solution for how the product sits right now. Moving forward Control4 knows and understands that HDMI is a need and I assume it will be addressed in the future.

As for the above post with the Onkyo and the Epson Projector, we have found that issues of 1080P not working and 1080i working are in most cases a product of the HDMI cable used to connect the Rx with the projector. We have solved in one of three ways: 1- A higher quality HDMI cable, especially if the run is of any length; 2- Used HDMI Baluns to carry rhe HDMI signal; 3- If replacing the cable, or running Cat5e/Cat6 for Baluns is not an option we have used HDMI amplifiers with some success

Hope this helps

Archie Stewart

Infinity Audio Video Solutions

• 2 weeks later...
Its a patch that C4 cannot service, warranty, etc.

Analog is dying people, what is C4 going to do about it?

Dying, but not dead. As long as vendors still keep including Component ports (latest gear Netgear NeoTV) I'm not worrying about it. Media converters work fine for me.

It should be a few years before it is finally phased out. HDMI on C4 UI is only a nice-to-have and a convenience when you have a HDMI matrix, etc. Otherwise, I don't think the output will be much better to look at. just my opinion...

ac

Personally I think the OP's question was very relevant. It's something I've been thinking on quite a bit as I'm heading into finishing my basement.

HDMI is becoming the standard input, good or bad, that's where it's heading. There are many products out today, not just TV's, that only offer HDMI as a connection option. At some point Control4 will have to think about HDMI and include it in their controllers. The real question is when does it make good technological and financial sense to do so? My 2 cents - I agree with achoudary, right now component works. It works well. Probably a year or two away, but inevitable.

I don't often post here, but I do read up regularly, it seems that the board has gotten a little less friendly in the past few months. Seems that a dissenting, or sometimes just a different opinion is not okay anymore.

Cheers all

Dave

Archived