C4 Forums | Control4

New system install

One of my biggest complaints when I installed C4 was the cost of lights. I have LOTS of 3 way switches in the house. As ILC4 points out the basic way of doing things is a dimmer on the load, then 3 or 6 button at the other 2 locations.

I did find some cost reductions in some locations. For example we have an upstairs hallway and there are 2 locations that had 3 3-way switches. Since this wasn't a load point (i.e. needing a dimmer on all 3 switches), I used 1x 6 button to control all 3 3-ways. I hope that makes sense......

One of my biggest complaints when I installed C4 was the cost of lights. I have LOTS of 3 way switches in the house. As ILC4 points out the basic way of doing things is a dimmer on the load, then 3 or 6 button at the other 2 locations.....

This would be the same for any automated lighting system. You would need to replace all the standard toggle switches in a multi-way switch lighting setup.

henniae is right.

Plus, although it's expensive, it's bitchin. Wait until you factor the cost of motion sensors in, so that lights automatically turn on and off as you navigate the house! Then it gets REALLY cool, but also really expensive.

"You've got to pay to play" =)

• 1 year later...

I'm looking at a total of 65+ dimmers, switches and keypads for a new install in a new house and the dealer I started working with said it will cost an additional $20 per device to add to the project. That's $1300 in addition to the cost of the devices themselves. Part of the $1300 will include programming of 4 or 5 scenes per area ("area" is either a room, foyer, hallway, etc...) - including exterior backyard, side, front areas; and garage and basement, I am looking at over 20 areas in the house.

I'm in New Jersey area; I would like some feedback from you guys to determine if this pricing is reasonable.

P.S. I was contemplating on simply asking the dealer to add the devices to the project without the programming so that I can do that with HE and tweak the programming as I live in the house. If that's a reasonable approach, how much do you think it should cost me to simply have devices added to a project?

I've paid $10 to add a device to my project.

I've also got a great dealer who hasn't charged me on occassion.

Unless you know what you want when they're installed, wait to use them and then add programming either through HE or via your dealer.

I'm looking at a total of 65+ dimmers, switches and keypads for a new install in a new house and the dealer I started working with said it will cost an additional $20 per device to add to the project. That's $1300 in addition to the cost of the devices themselves. Part of the $1300 will include programming of 4 or 5 scenes per area ("area" is either a room, foyer, hallway, etc...) - including exterior backyard, side, front areas; and garage and basement, I am looking at over 20 areas in the house.

I'm in New Jersey area; I would like some feedback from you guys to determine if this pricing is reasonable.

P.S. I was contemplating on simply asking the dealer to add the devices to the project without the programming so that I can do that with HE and tweak the programming as I live in the house. If that's a reasonable approach, how much do you think it should cost me to simply have devices added to a project?

Is the dealer installing them as well, or is an electrician installing them and he just identifying?

The electrician is installing them.

The C4 dealer is pitching the fact that his is adding them to the project and providing the programming of scenes to each room/area.

My sentiment was that I simply want to get them identified and tweak the programming when I move in and get used to how I would like to use them.

Personally, I would not pay on a piece-meal basis. Pay him an hourly rate and offer to help him ID the devices. It's a simple task with two people working it. Programming scenes is what CHE is all about- no need to pay unless you are too busy to bother.

Yeah...adding each devices is literally a couple click of the mouse on his laptop, and a few clicks of the button on the switch/dimmer/keypad. Obviously sometimes it's more involved...sometimes a device won't grab on the mesh or requires a little massaging to get ID'd properly...but that's not all that common.

I'm with Controlfouruserguy. Offer to pay him $200/hour to get the devices ID'd and walk around helping him do it and taking a curious interest. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get all 65 done in under 30 minutes =)

200$ for one hour to program 65 devices ! that sound like a good offer. if he can do it just let me know haha :D

I'm with Controlfouruserguy. Offer to pay him $200/hour to get the devices ID'd and walk around helping him do it and taking a curious interest. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get all 65 done in under 30 minutes =)

Archived